Did you name your home winery?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Airedale Terriers and the name fits both ways, they are the reason behind the name. Plan are in the works to open up a full fledged winery sometime this fall. The only wines I will be dealing with are fruit wines, most of which are made from fruit picked in my own little orchard. No where close to get any wine or beer making supplies so plan on having a variety of that as well. Pic is of 2 of the different white wines available.
138023362_1003403220148557_4543603858111195577_o.jpg

Attachments

• 138023362_1003403220148557_4543603858111195577_o.jpg
    138023362_1003403220148557_4543603858111195577_o.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 12
I lived on a road called Alanthia Lane... found it to be a made up word... could only find one reference to it in literature and no definition online... I thought, “I bet there aren’t any other wineries on this road.” And, Alanthia Lane Winery stuck... till we moved to Charles Street. I hope renaming a winery isn’t bad luck (like renaming a boat).FE641458-8371-4D5B-BF6C-C3206DCB418E.jpeg

I am brand new at this but I am thinking of calling it "Ivywoods Wine." Ivywoods is a name I used for our farm as well as for the small apiary I had for a short time. (Brief due to the fact that I developed a severe allergy to bee stings.) I came up with the name due to the fact that every piece of property I have ever owned always had lots and lots of poison ivy as well as lots of woods. I will probably stick with Ivywoods unless something different pops into my head. I haven't designed a logo yet.

I lived on a road called Alanthia Lane... found it to be a made up word... could only find one reference to it in literature and no definition online... I thought, “I bet there aren’t any other wineries on this road.” And, Alanthia Lane Winery stuck... till we moved to Charles Street. I hope renaming a winery isn’t bad luck (like renaming a boat).View attachment 71171

How many different wines did you use the new label on? I recently had a bottle from Charles Street Winery but didn't comment because I didn't know who's it was and I discarded the bottle. Although I can't remember my tasting notes I can tell you it was very enjoyable and I really wanted to post my comments.

We have a German wirehaired dachshund. She is an experienced wounded deer recovery dog. She lives to track. The rest of the time she likes to drive us bonkers, but she earns her keep.

We started making wine in the Ga Mnts on Fighting Town Creek, a national trout stream. So F T C Wines was the name we picked. Now making wine in Florida for 8 years FTC Wines means From The Cellar.
Hey, Fighting Town Creek isn't far from my hometown of Chatsworth, I used to work in Ellijay, and I got family all over those mountains.

Aleatoric Meadery, Winery, or Brewing, depending.

Is there a word for all three?

"Aleatoric" is a word I ran into a year or so ago. Referring to semi-random particles, in that case, but in looking it up, something about the term really grabbed me. An uncouth way to put it would be "Throwing things at the wall to see what sticks". I thought that amusing, especially since the contents of the bottle I opened once, without forethought, after spewing bits of berries and purple goo all over the wall and ceiling (which is, in my case, the floor joists of the first floor, as mine is a basement brewery/winery/meadery) made some interesting patterns (some of which still remain, as stains). It also pertains somewhat to how I concoct, especially when I let slip the reins of my inner mad scientist/alchemist. Sometimes things get a tad strange, verging on bizarre. A common adage in my realm: "Time cures all sins". Well, to date, that holds true. Well, except for that last time ...

Rarely do I label "officially" but I enjoy using my wife's art rejects, often patterns and abstracts, cut to fit the hand-lettered bad calligraphy I do, and pasted on bottles with wheat paste, which is surprisingly strong, yet cleans off the bottles well for next time.

Aleatoric Meadery, Winery, or Brewing, depending.

Is there a word for all three?

That is a very good question. I make fruit wine, cider, and mead, but not beer. I don't have a vineyard or cellar. So I'm not sure what to call it. I suppose I could use a name, followed by winery, meadery, or whatever describes a place that makes cider.

A related question is whether there is a general term for making wine/cider/mead. The word "brewing" is mainly used for making beer. Is there a more general term for making wine/beer/mead/cider?

That is a very good question. I make fruit wine, cider, and mead, but not beer. I don't have a vineyard or cellar. So I'm not sure what to call it. I suppose I could use a name, followed by winery, meadery, or whatever describes a place that makes cider.

A related question is whether there is a general term for making wine/cider/mead. The word "brewing" is mainly used for making beer. Is there a more general term for making wine/beer/mead/cider?

vinting-

Vintry is one of the 25 wards of the City of London. Located within it is the City end of Southwark Bridge and, adjacent to that, the hall of the Worshipful Company of Vintners, the City livery company for the wine trade.

How many different wines did you use the new label on? I recently had a bottle from Charles Street Winery but didn't comment because I didn't know who's it was and I discarded the bottle. Although I can't remember my tasting notes I can tell you it was very enjoyable and I really wanted to post my comments.

I’m thinking 4 or 5 at this point. We moved in around May 2020 and most of my carboys were full.

Glad you liked it though.

I turned my family seal into a label. LePera (Italy)
Next I want to create a label in memory of my father in law who recently passed away suddenly. His garden was absolutely amazing. He handmade 3 arbors for his own garden, ours and his sons. I want use the picture of his garden arbor and call it Three Arbors Winery.

Attachments

• 1668554-1.png
    1668554-1.png
    766.2 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back