Did something stupid...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cellar is always kept at 15 degrees Celsius... 2 days ago, my lady turned up the heat downstairs and I just walked into my cellar at 22 celcius approx 73 f.

My carboys and demijohns have all seemed to rise up towards the top of the airlock, some even splurged wine into the airlock...

Anyone experience this problem before? I just dropped the temp hoping everything will be ok...

Please thoughts!?

Thanks your reply gives me some relief! Just don’t like the fact that the wine creeped up an inch in the carboys

Not due to the pressure, just the temperature:

Just to set the scale, if the pressure dropped from normal ambient to the pressure you get in the eye of a hurricane (biggest pressure change I can think of), the 6-gal. carboy would expand by 1 ml. If the temperature warmed up by 20*F, the 6-gal carboy would expand by 55 ml. I think the former would not be perceptible, but the latter could bring the wine level up into the airlock.

Locking thermostat! I need one....my wife is killing me. One hour it's 65 in the house and the next hour it's 85. I've tried talking to her about it, but that was a REALLY bad idea. Hormones are hell to live with:s

Locking thermostat! I need one....my wife is killing me. One hour it's 65 in the house and the next hour it's 85. I've tried talking to her about it, but that was a REALLY bad idea. Hormones are hell to live with:s

I finally had to get "smart" thermostat, and then convince her if she leaves it alone it will automatically change from ac to heat and back when needed, still once in a while I catch her messing with it.

We locked horns again last night. I handed her a sweater and said just put this on.....she suggested I insert it in a body cavity. I went out to the shop and stayed there until the lights went out in the house. These are dangerous times we live in today.:ft
I tell my wife the reduced temperatures enhance the wine I make for her. If that doesn't work, give her the electric bill and tell her to pay it (especially if you have a heat pump like I do).

I can't imagine a sweater fitting in my belly button ;).

I was making a Cabernet Sauvignon kit, and I had a heater in a small room to control the temp for that. One of my boys came in and dialed up the heater, and the temperature in the room shot up to 85 degrees overnight. I went to check on it the next morning, and was horrified. It was fermenting FAST. I turned down the heater and prayed. I proceeded as usual, and oddly enough, this turned out to be fantastic tasting wine. Small wonders. I wouldn't be too worried. I would just clean up the airlocks and go back to business as usual. Just my opinion.

We locked horns again last night. I handed her a sweater and said just put this on.....she suggested I insert it in a body cavity. I went out to the shop and stayed there until the lights went out in the house. These are dangerous times we live in today.:ft

Sounds like sharing a bottle of wine is on order.

Latest posts

Back