Did my Summer royals give its life to give me grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky2Guns

Reaction score
Lol, a little dramatic title but my Summer Royals did an awesome job of not only providing very sweet table grapes, but it probably put out the most grapes of all my varieties. This year I was going to give it a break and let it work on trunk growth since its only 2 seasons old(this would have been it’s third). Well this year everything is growing very nicely EXCEPT for my summer royals. Ok so maybe its a late season getting a late start, no it died. Well at least the old trunk & cordons did, but the roots are still good. It’s starting to regrow from the bottom. So I’m thinking was it too young to produce so much and maybe stressed itself out? This was actually one of my favorite vines. Good thing is it’ll be back soon. What’s your take on this?

Were your vines grafts if so the shoots at the bottom will probably not be fruitful just very pretty depending on which vine the vines were grafted to. Like a rose cut below the graft it is pretty but not what you bought.

It was bought at a nursery and not concerned that it will not thrive, I know it will. Below is a Black Manuuka which went through the same process and is doing well. My question is focused on whether or not my variety died due to the over production of fruit during its second year.
6B5D59C2-DC11-45A1-9C64-7D79391519EB.jpeg
1F6E6CE4-4659-401E-BA62-75CD8DE9EA17.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a verona vine that was doing well last year, and had lots of grapes on it. Then right before the grapes were ripe, it collasped and died. I feel that is what happened to it, it was a three leaf vine, so I let it fruit, and prolly shouldn't have!

Back