did i screw up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halifaxwino

new wine enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there again,

I have racked one of my wines into the carboy for secondary fermentation, problem is i topped up using a similar wine at this stage. could have i ruined the wine for doing it at this stage or will it be OK? all the best

Screwup:(

Sounds right to me Hal, you could have put your marbles in a nylon stocking but from what I understand a similar wine is better. If your curious, search nylons and take a look at some of the threads related to topping off.HEEHee
Troy

sorry i didn't really understand if i screwed up or not. haha so it was ok for me to have done this at this stage? i remember Mr. Wade telling me and i quote "Do not top off till it is done fermenting and after adding the fining agent as that will take up a little space and you want rom to degas your wine" but i did it right after i racked it out of the primary. that's why i am worried.

thanks for the response. i will give the marbles ago on this next batch i have to do on Friday. ;)

Last edited:
If it was not done fermenting then is what not needed and if you added a wine with residual sugar then you may have just added more sugar for the yeast to ferment. While it is fermenting it is producing C02 which protects your wine from air. If you added a dry wine you are really ok but will have to extract some to use a fing agent and degass as you need lots of room to degas or ypu will have a volcano.

Thanks wade great stuff, thanks for that, I did read what you wrote just i guess i forgot till i actually did it haha. yes i used a cabernet sauvignon and what i think i know is that it is dry and there is no sweetness to it. the carboy still has little bubbles bubbling on the top so Co2 is still being made i think haha. but presumably it is. but thanks again to you both for getting back to me.

Latest posts

Back