DId I screw up this batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvinn

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started a batch of peach/nectarine wine. I think I might have made a small mistake or two. FIrstly, some of the fruit was bruised, but I put it in the mix anyway. I stirred it twice daily, but after the second day, the mix developed a rotten egg smell. I read that areating the wine several times daily could cure the problem, which I did. After a few days the bad smell went away. On the 7th day I removed pulp/mesh bag and placed the mix in a fermentor. It just barely fermented for a day or two and then apparently quit fermenting because my airlock doesn't move. Should I throw out the batch, or could fermenting have finished in 7-10 days?

Thanks

Kevin

hello Kevin,

couple of questions for you..

do you have a hydrometer?.. if so, test the wine to see whether it has finished fermenting yet. It could quite possibly be finished.

have you tasted the wine yet? that's the best way to tell if the bruised fruit have given you any off flavours there.

Allie

Gravity readings please. :) Seriously, we need the starting gravity and what it is now to give you a definitive answer. To answer your question though, yes it could of fermented in the 7 days. What yeast did you use and did you use any yeast nutrient and energizer? Montrachet yeast possibly? Do you know if the fruit was sprayed? Give us a bit more info here to give you some answers.

I didn't use a Hydrometer when I started the wine. I don't know a lot about them but the reading appears to be right arount 1.000. From what I understand, that means it's sorta like water?

The yeast I used is LALVIN K1-1116, if that helps. I bought it at a liquor store that sells all kinds of wine making supplies.

I don't know what the spraying situation was on the fruit because I bought them at a market. I can only assume they were sprayed.

I did however, taste the stuff. It has a decent flavor but I was afraid to swallow. It definately needs more sugar.

I didn't use nutrient or energizer. I'm only guessing that it didn't ferment. WHat should I do?

Thanks Again.

If gravity is at 1.000 it's definately fermented out the original sugars that were in your fruit.

The rotten egg smell ( hydrogen sulfide) happens with some yeasts more than others.. and to avoid it.. we suggest you use a yeast nutrient with your yeast.. should be available at the same shop you bought the yeast.

Don't be afraid to swallow it.. it won't do you any harm.. it sounds like the wine is done..

what are you fermenting in?.. if it's a large plastic bin with lid.. and you have a large glass carboy to transfer to.. move it to glass and put it back under airlock.. test again in 2 days.. if there's no change in the reading on your hydrometer.. you are ready to stabilise the wine and start your fining process.

Allie

Yes, it fermented. An SG of 1.000 is right at dry. Do not add more sugar until you stabilize the wine with Potasium Sorbate and Potasium metabisulfite. If you add more sugar now it will just continue to ferment. Don't be afraid to swallow the wine. If it isn't any good, it won't kill you, you'll just vomit. :) Seriously though, I am sure it is fine. Now it may ferment a little more so just relax. If it is in a carboy now and topped off just let it sit and finish and clear.

I agree with above comments. To chec to see if your wine is stable check the sg reading a gew days in a row to see if its the same, if it is add the pot. sorbate and pot. sulfite, this will protect your wine from oxidation and also from refermenting if you plan on sweetening it.

Latest posts

Back