did I screw up already

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I prepared my must and put it into the primary fermenter, and I also prepared the yeast by adding 2 cups of hot water to 2 tbs of sugar, and then let it come to room temp and added the yeast. I covered it with saran wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 2 days. I wanted to use it after 1 day, but I needed to add another campden tablet to the must, so I let it sit for a second day to let the tablet sterilize the must. At this point, I'm not sure how to tell if the yeast is working or if I need to start over. Any thoughts? I guess I'm just wondering if activating the yeast and letting it sit in the fridge for 2 days was a mistake or not.

I am not an expert at wine making but when you add yeast to sugar it should double in size I believe do you still have it in the frig. if so take it out and let it warm up and see if it take off bubbleing again I am thinking that it is just to cold in the frig. for it to work right you want your wine to be around 76 degrees for the yeast to work right while fermenting. I know that someone on the forum with more knowledge will also reply to you on this so hang in there and don't do anything until someone replies to this also.

Abby, I have never activated my yeast then chilled it. Pull it out of the refer and warm up. See if it wakes up.

Not knowing more info. on your wine makes it impossible for good help.

Don't give up yet. What are you making, specific gravity and etc. please

I would pull it out and let it get to around 75 degrees and add a bit of OJ or grape juice or something and leave it out to see if it starts fermenting. Do you have any idea of what the temp of the hot water was that you dehydrated the yeast with . There is a very fine line between ok and too hot which will kill the yeast.

I would pull it put and let it get to around 75 degrees and add a bit of OJ or grape juice or something and leave it out to see if it starts fermenting. Do you have any idea of what the temp of the hot water was that you dehydrated the yeast with . There is a very fine line between ok and too hot which will kill the yeast.

Yeah - i figured that out the hard way - 104 - 109 is what i do for the Lavlin yeast.

I put some water in the microwave before :m big mistake - got it too hot - killed the yeast.

Abby, please post your complete recipe and what process you have done. What type of wine are you trying to make? The yeast should be fine, lilke stated above you just need to let it warm up.

And welcome to winemakingtalk, what has gotten hyou wanting to make your own wine? It is a very neat hobby and I think you are going to enjoy it.

making a starter and keeping it in the fridge may have stunned the yeast. Also I would not have just laid something over it in the fridge (to many (things) around in there)
Like Julie said post everything you did and the recipe.

Back