Did I mess up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinton4616

Junior
Reaction score
I followed the directions for making blueberry wine to the letter, EXCEPT, I was distracted and added the yeast directly to the must without re-hydrating. I'm using Red Star Montrachet yeast.

Will this be a problem? Should I re-hydrate another package correctly and add to the must? Or wait 24 hours to see if fermentation has started?

Welcome to the forum!

Like Julie above I'm a sprinkler. I have though done re-hydration a few times but can't remember it making any difference. I'd wait 24-48 hours.

All is good, woke up this morning and I had bubbles...........Yeah! What a relief.

Thank you for the quick responses, put my mind at ease.

No, you did not mess up.

But, re-hydration has benefits. Including a better aroma and bouquet profile in the final wine. And especially with Montrachet it helps lessen the chances of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) production.

What's the temp in the room with fermenter? Watch for high speed fermentation with higher temps. Depending on the yeast and conditions - blueberry can ferment dry VERY fast in warm conditions. Other times some folks seem to have to baby it along.

Keep your nutrients up. Montrechet has a habit of making things stinky if it gets stressed so best to keep it well fed with nutrients. Good luck with it, Arne.

Montrachet and H2S problems are not related to re-hydration or not. This yeast naturally emits higher quantities of H2S than other yeasts. The only way to combat that is to be sure you use GOOD nutrient management because when this yeast is stressed, it produces more H2S.

Back