Did I mess up before I even got started?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claywine12204

Reaction score
So I started my first ever batch of wine and from everyone's recommendations I started with the Dragon Blood. I followed every step to the letter, but didn't think anything of the initial water temperature. I got all the water from my refrigerator since it has a filter on it so when I was done I zapped it with the laser temp gun and it's 20 degrees!! I now have it in a closet wrapped in a blanket. I've only completed the step 1 portion of the DB write-up. Did I mess it up already? :(

So I have only put in the nutrient and energize so far and then it says to leave undisturbed for 24 hours. So tomorrow night it will be time to put in the yeast. If the temp is still under 60 is it ok to wait longer? If I do should I start stirring?

The blanket might be slowing down the warm up. Throw a heating pad under the blanket over night and that will speed up the warming. I would try and get it up to at least 65 or 70 before pitching the yeast. 72-75 is ideal. What yeast are you using?

Ok so it's back up to 65F now so DD write up says to let sit and don't touch for 12-24 hours. Are you saying it's better to wait more toward 72 hours? I'm using the EC1118 yeast which I will be putting in next.

I would wait until tonight to pitch. The point of waiting 12-24 hours is to let the pectic enzyme work on the fruit. At those colder temps the enzyme may not have been fully working. Give it the full 24 hours.

You'll be fine. The good thing about being so cold is that it makes it difficult for other things to start growing as well. The 1118 will quickly take over and dominate what ever is going on in the bucket. I always make a yeast starter (follow instructions on packet) to help the yeast spring back to activity and make sure they get the job done right away.

Agreed, if you hadn't even pitched the yeast yet everything will be fine. :h

Latest posts

Back