Did I goof up with Kmeta and Sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencepost

Reaction score
I am making a batch of DD DB Blackberry... was racking from one carboy to another... after 1st racking, I added kmeta and sorbate, then I remembered that to get rid of CO2 (to help it clarify), I should do several rackings (using AIO vacuum pump). Was wondering if the kmeta and sorbate that I added got pulled out with the subsequent vacuum rackings? (3 additional rackings... it still had small bubbles coming out which looked like fizzy CO2).

The question....if I did pull out the kmeta and sorbate, should I dose it again?

Thanks.

I am making a batch of DD DB Blackberry... was racking from one carboy to another... after 1st racking, I added kmeta and sorbate, then I remembered that to get rid of CO2 (to help it clarify), I should do several rackings (using AIO vacuum pump). Was wondering if the kmeta and sorbate that I added got pulled out with the subsequent vacuum rackings? (3 additional rackings... it still had small bubbles coming out which looked like fizzy CO2).

The question....if I did pull out the kmeta and sorbate, should I dose it again?

Thanks.
Simple answer to your question, no need to added more Sorbate, but you might want to let it sit for a few weeks and then add some more kmeta prior to bottling.

As a side note, I think the directions should be rack, wait about 3 days, rack and add kmeta wait about a week or 3, rack. Wait another week or two, add clearing agents, wait, rack, if clear, add kmeta and Sorbate, add sugar, wait 3 days, bottle.

Doing there rackings back to back exposed your new wine to quite a bit of oxygen, which isn't a good thing now.

Latest posts

Back