did i get bad juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomheli

Reaction score
i got 3 pails of italian red cab sav transfered to carboy within 1/2 an hour had what seems to look like cottage cheese, a lot of white bits swirling around some sinking , anyone ever see this, thanks for any help you can give i would like to save juice if i can.

Can you tell us more like what did you ferment this in? It doesntt really sound good though but I could be wrong. Can you email me a pic cause you need 5 posts I think to upload pics here due to spammer settings. [email protected]

crap in juice

i tryed to send pics new phone see what happens i got juice last nite and transfered to carboy for fermentation seem to be clear when when i did it but saw white clumps later

You do not wat to ferment in a carboy as there is not enough room in there which means it will not get enough 02 for your yeast and also if you have a vigorous fermentation will overflow your carboy. Here are the pics he sent me. Its hard to tell but looks like it probably just settled a little and thats possibly dead yeast cells, what is the gravity of this and what were the temps of these buckets, were they very cold. Seems to me like they ahv e been fermenting already judging by the look of that sediment.

curd.jpg

curd 2.jpg

crap in juice

dont know gravity temp about 70 degrees seemed like it was fermenting in pail already , added rc212 yeast this morning

Do you not have a hydrometer? You really need to get one asap cause without this we cant really help you and youll have no idea what your doing or where your wines at. They are very cheap and easy to read!!!!!!!

crap in juice

i will have to get one i though they were when you made from grapes where you added sugar

crap in juice

i made my first batch in the spring from chilean juice turned out good did not have problems was warmer then we are having a cold spell now

Not sure what you were trying o say in the post above your last. You should always use a hydrometer and always use it in the begiinning and end a few times to know when its done. Knowing its done is verified by sg readings that are the same for 3 dyas in a row. It also helps to know the starting gravity and the finished gravity to know how much abv you have made.

i made my first batch in the spring from chilean juice turned out good did not have problems was warmer then we are having a cold spell now

I'm not that far from you. Where did you get your juice? Was it in S Philly?

hydrometer

i though they were for when you crush grapes and had to add sugar and see where you are at i thought juice was already sweet and not much you could change

juice

i got the juice from fruit of the vine concordville pa, aka suburban foods rt 1 and 322

juice

when i tryed to get a hunk of this stuff it would go away , i put some in a glass and it just broke up and was cloudy

The hydrometer is for knowing if your juice has already started fermenting, knowing if it needs to be upped with sugar or possibly diluted down if too much sugar is present and also to know how much abv you will have when done. If you can get a hydrometer tomorrow and get a recording asap so can further diagnose this.

i will pick one up , i think it was fermenting already jugs were puffy and hissing juice was pretty carbonated

looks like a blizzard in the juice when you shine a flashlite on it but you cant see it otherwise

I think this is what happened as that is yeast sediment that your seeing and that is normal then.

thats big sediment, but i think you are right a freind said the same thing and he makes alot of wine, thanks for your input

Latest posts

Back