??Did I do a baad thing??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bein_bein

Reaction score
Hope this isn't a dumb question (I live by the rule - The only dumb question is the one you don't ask...or ask twice..)
Trying my hand at wine making for the first time. I figured I would start with a kit so I had a more controlled experience the first time out and that should = a better probability of a drinkable product.
In the kits 3rd stage (stabilising and clearing) it says to stir the wine vigorously for 2 min to drive off CO2when adding the meta bisulphate and sorbate. Here's my question, I used a drill powered mixer (not for a full 2 min though) and I read in one of the other posts that these mixers can oxidize your wine. What exactly will oxidzing a wine do to the wine, and should I be concerned that I will have this problem??
Thanks In advance

Put simply oxidized wine doesn't taste good. But one of the reasons that pot meta is added is to stop oxidation.

The drill mounted stirrer should be used 'gently'. Stirring rapidly (with spoon or drill) creates a vortex in the wine and is said to increase the chance of oxidation.

Stir in short bursts, allowing the wine to settle between bursts.

Steve

The objective was to drive off the dissolved CO2. If there were no more bubbles coming out of solution (no more fizzing) then you've accomplished your objective. The K-meta added will act as a preservative to inhibit oxidation so don't be too concerned about that at this point.

Latest posts

Back