WineXpert Diablo rojo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
Anyone try it?

The description sounded like something I'd like so I bought a box.

Brian

It's supposed to be a good merlot meant to be drunk young! But how young is young supposed to be after bottling.

My retailer said it was meant to be drunk young but I'm afraid I deserve a swift kick in the arse for going to a cheap kit.

Don't know if it will meet my expectations however. I did this one as an emergency measure whilst the others I have on are aging. We'll see.

Meanwhile I'm going to do the Aust. Shiraz/Syrah from WE again as it has met my expectations and the next batch will be even better since it WILL get the proper aging it requires.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I'm bottling my first attempt at Diablo Rojo in 2 days! I was also told that this wine would be drinkable young. (I'm making it for a wedding in May) Can't wait to taste it tho, the flavors sound amazing.

For those, like me, who may have missed this kit before, it is a Winexpert Vintners Reserve kit.

Steve

For what it's worth, I'm bottling my first attempt at Diablo Rojo in 2 days! I was also told that this wine would be drinkable young. (I'm making it for a wedding in May) Can't wait to taste it tho, the flavors sound amazing.

Yes it IS drinkable young. I personally didn't like it but many others DID.

For me it wasn't dry enough and too fruity.

Did you guys add ALL 5 packs of oak, I just now pitched this kit but I didn't add the oak till get more info, they all feel like powdered oak and kinda got me worried, will it settle out or should I just swap it out for sticks or cubes or anything else. I didn't really check out what's in the box till I was going about starting it :slp

That kit contains
30g of Premium Oak
30g of Toasted Oak
60g of European Hungarian Oak (3 20g packs)

Last edited:
I'm adding it all, real quick search says 2-4oz for 5-6 gallon, 120 grams = 4.23oz, just the unopened packages have a nice aroma and as everyone says that is how the kit was designed right. Oak me barkeep.

I'm adding it all, real quick search says 2-4oz for 5-6 gallon, 120 grams = 4.23oz, just the unopened packages have a nice aroma and as everyone says that is how the kit was designed right. Oak me barkeep.

If you're not sure...and you can't find any tweeks on the internet...best bet is to just follow the instructions. I don't think any kit manufacturer will "over oak" one of their kits. After secondary fermentation if you think it needs more oak, add it.

Taste is personal, even if I told you this kit would benefit with more oak...that would be my preference...it might not be your's.

Peace,
Bob

Hi all. I am a newbie to the forum, and semi-newbie to homebrewing..(just over a year now)
I just started mine tonight. Excited about the 5 packs and the variety of oak in this baby!
Anyone else have a finished diablo rojo kit they can provide feedback on?

One of my favorite dry reds. especially for a low/ mid range kit.
I will make it again.

Charlietuna said:
One of my favorite dry reds. especially for a low/ mid range kit.
I will make it again.

Hi Tuna, I am assuming you added the whole F-Pak? Just curious .., I will be at that step shortly. Thanks

I just added my f-pack. Tastes so amazingly dry and body-licious already .. Cannot wait until its bottled and rested.. Considering starting another batch of this already.
Also, just bottled a batch of Fiesta-Brew Czech Pilsner , dry-hopped with 1oz of hallertau pellets.. This is great!
Have a great week.
-JB

This is my favorite wine kit so far - LOVE it! A great blend of red with just a bit of sweetness. Yes, I added all packages of oak. And I can't wait to make more! It was very drinkable after one month and even better after three months....
But I can't find the kit anymore to make. Vintner's Reserve say they still make it, but it is out of stock everywhere I've looked. VR says the supplier for my area doesn't carry it anymore. My local wine stores and the local online stores say it's one of their best selling kits and they can't get it. Any help here?

Back