DewBerry Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Hi All,
It looks like the dew berries at my sister's place are ripening. They are deep purple but are sour. Is this normal? Are they ready to pick? I am wanting to try a batch since she has tons of the plants along her fence rows. She also has some wild grapes but not sure about those either.
Thanks for any feed back.
:bSteve

I have never heard of them. Have you tasted them? When you say sour, do you mean like a Cranberry? If so I have made a fresh Cranberry and it came out tart even after adding sugar. But, still tasted just like liquid cranberry.

Yes I would say tart. They are new to me but are related to the blackberry and most recipes are the same for both berries. I read that they are a pain to pick so I am looking forward to that. Free for the picking!
Tight wad Steve

I have never tried them either but almost all fruit should be able to almost fall into your hands when touched when they are ready for harvesting.

Ah like the mulberries. If it stayed on the tree ,it stayed on the tree. It looks like a blackberry with cancer!! It looks funny. Hard to describe but you would know right away it was not a blackberry. I will have to post the recipe and results.
Thanks ,Steve
Southern Dewberry
southern_dewberry.jpg

Last edited:
Dew berries and blackberries go hand in hand and are very common here in the south. Keep your eye on a couple and wait to pick these for a couple days and when the shine turns dull they will be at their sweetest. Just because they turn black does not mean they're fully ripe.

As a follow up the really ripe ones are sort of mushy in your hand and will juice easily. The get pretty big so picking is fun. Most of the time that is.

Back