Destemming by hand- when to add enzymes/kmeta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoors

Reaction score
Thank you all for your answers to my recent questions. I have another one. I plan to destem 20 lugs by hand (with help of course)- it will likely take a solid 8-10 hours as it does every year. Based on this- would you recommend adding enzymes & kmeta at (1) the very beginning based on estimated yield (2) as we go along or (3) when destemming is completed? I only ask given the amount of time involved from start to finish.

I also noticed in the winemakers answer book the recommendation that enzymes and SO2 additions are 12 hrs apart (something about the protein in the enzyme becoming bound by the SO2 and not being able to do its thing). Is it important to follow this rule? If so- is the best procedure to sulfite 1st, wait 12 hours to add Lallzyme EX-V...inoculate shortly thereafter, & then 6-8 hours later use opti-red? Sound like a reasonable timeline?

It seems like you have the right idea. I would destem and crush a lug or two into a shallow container and then add the corresponding sulfite and blend well, then dump into main fermenter, then repeat until done. Add enzyme 12hrs or the following day, opti-red sometime after that.

Latest posts

Back