Dessert Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alecia68

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wishing to use smaller than 750 ml bottles for dessert wine. I see the 350 ml bottles but wonder if there are options that are a bit different. What type of small vessel have you used to bottle dessert wine?

You could always use a small beer bottle. I think they're close to 350 ml. Not as pretty but I use them for small amounts and gifting for certain folks.

I use 375 ml bottles for port-style wines. Smaller bottles range from 125 ml and up, but most are screwcap bottles. Reusing them is risky as they may not seal properly, and the glass is not designed to handle the stresses of corking; the bottle can shatter on cork insertion OR cork extraction.

Pop-top beer bottles are about 350 ml, and are crown capped.

You could always use a small beer bottle. I think they're close to 350 ml. Not as pretty but I use them for small amounts and gifting for certain folks.
I should add that I use a beer cap and am not trying to shove a cork in there. If I'm feeling extra fancy I'll put an amazon heat shrink wrap over it as well.

How about the ~187mL bottles that are sometimes used for sparkling wine? They take a standard beer bottle cap, don't know of they can be corked as well - I suspect the neck is narrower than a 750 or 375.
Probably too tight for a cork, but crown caps work just fine. I was thinking the smaller bottles are all screwcaps, but now that you mention it, I recall standard champagne bottle necks, which all handle a crown cap.

FYI -- not all crown caps are the same size. American beer bottles use a 26 mm cap, while a lot of European champagne bottles are 28 mm (I think). I learned the hard way to check if my caps fit a champagne bottle BEFORE filling it ......

FYI -- not all crown caps are the same size. American beer bottles use a 26 mm cap, while a lot of European champagne bottles are 28 mm (I think). I learned the hard way to check if my caps fit a champagne bottle BEFORE filling it ......

Yes, good point! I bought a crown capping adapter for my corking machine which came with cups for both sizes... but you still need to buy the right caps...

750ml glass wine bottle is the standard and popular for wineries. For smaller wine bottle dimension, 375ml wine bottles also mini 187ml wine bottles are amazing.
Of course, custom glass wine bottles are highly demanded. The point is how many wine bottles do you need. Custom glass bottles are signature of brand, but request higher production cost.
187ml bottle.jpg

Latest posts

Back