WineXpert Dessert Wine help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roboto65

Reaction score
Ok last day home before I leave for 2 weeks I started this 3 gallon kit when I got home on 1/23/18 starting SG at 1.130 the instructions say wait 5 to 7 days and check Sg and when it reaches 1.020 add the chaptalisation pack and stir well for 60 secs.
Anyhow here is my problem I am tugboat Capt and I am leaving in the morning bright and early for 2 weeks.
Just checked SG and it was 1.050 way to high, I would think but by the time I get back in 2 weeks it will be well below the 1.020 so that is my problem. How would the experts fix this or am I over thinking it as far as time goes.

I think what would happen if you add the packet know is that the yeast will continue to ferment and eventually quit at the appropriate level as the wine will become to toxic with alcohol for it to continue. the second option is to leave it alone and add the packet when you return. there will still be enough yeast to restart fermentation and finish at the proper level. I think this latter option is risky than the the first. so I would opt for the first..any chance you can take the carboy with you?

LOL yeah no alcohol on the boat I wish sometimes. I also called Winexpert in Canada and they told me the same thing add sugar today and let it go till I get off. Double check everything and notes I am learning..

Thanks for taking the time to reply..

Agree with @salcoco first thought and wineexpert. I would add the sugar now. Shouldn’t be a problem and if it is, you could toss some ec1118 to finish it if it sticks (if That isn’t what you’ve already used in which case it will probably chug right on through it No worries)

Nope have not added any more yeast and honestly cannot remember did not note what yeast they used but it is bubbling merrily away so we will see what it looks like when I get off in 2 weeks. Will most probably stabilize and rack to Secondary per instructions and boogie on.

Latest posts

Back