Desperate for Raspberry wine ideas!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The raspberry harvest is winding down and so far I've been blessed with 16 lbs. For a fraction of a second I thought of making a big dedicated batch - but that ain't gonna happen!

I'm thinking 4 1-gallon batches or perhaps more where the raspberry is a co-flavor ingredient.

I found a forgotten 1 lb bag of raspberries earlier this year and threw it into one of my mint wines. The result was...delightful! I was surprised and amazed how just one pound of raspberries can flavor a wine. Lesson learned!

Chocolate Raspberry is a possibility.

Beyond that I'm embarrassed to say my mind is blank, a void, empty, a stunning lack of ideas.

HELP!

I'd go for two 1-gallon batches to maximize raspberry flavor. Chocolate sounds good, but I'd be tempted to try different yeasts, and/or maceration enzymes to see if there is a difference.

Maceration enzymes are designed with grapes in mind, but it would be good to know if they work for country wines.

Chocolate Raspberry is a possibility.
If I had enough raspberries I would make this one! It would be best with red raspberries. It would also be good to make a straight raspberry wine to see how that turns out.

Last year I did a raspberry melomel (mead). I wanted the honey flavor to come through, so I only used 1 lb. of raspberries per gallon. It turned out very well.

If you haven't branched out to mead yet you need to give that a try!

I'd go for two 1-gallon batches to maximize raspberry flavor. Chocolate sounds good, but I'd be tempted to try different yeasts, and/or maceration enzymes to see if there is a difference.

Maceration enzymes are designed with grapes in mind, but it would be good to know if they work for country wines.
I've been very happy with 71B for my fruit and flower wine. Did one flower with 1118, never again, no comparison. I really should try other yeasts, though.

Well, I had to search for maceration enzymes since it was unfamiliar to me. I am very intrigued!!! Bryan, do you have a reasonably priced supplier?

If I had enough raspberries I would make this one! It would be best with red raspberries. It would also be good to make a straight raspberry wine to see how that turns out.

Last year I did a raspberry melomel (mead). I wanted the honey flavor to come through, so I only used 1 lb. of raspberries per gallon. It turned out very well.

If you haven't branched out to mead yet you need to give that a try!
Last October after making raspberry jam I had 3 1/2 lbs left. In a moment of inspiration I thought it might be fun to try wine. Raspberries started me on this very enjoyable journey!

Oh, jeeze. Mead is on my list. I'm forcing myself not to go down that road just yet. The wine making hobby is almost a full time job as it is and I'm afraid I'll have to hire an assistant. 😄

One of our favorite finger lakes wines was a raspberry wine. A bit on the sweeter side a nice raspberry wine. Great desert wine.

here is their description:
This wonderfully aromatic treat is made from semi-sweet white wine infused with locally grown sun-ripened red raspberries. Intensely flavorful with lively acid, it's delicious by itself, as an aperitif, with chocolate or as an interesting addition to your cooking.

I think we are in the same boat. New to wine making, excited for results and more interested in learning and understanding the differences made in batches than making one good wine.

I like your idea. I made my raspberry from the recipe in the pink recipe book. It's over 6 months and it's not drinkable. It's TART! It will need more.. Something! Back sweetening with juice, maybe. I plan to play with it over the next few days. I'll give you a better idea of where it is, but I think if raspberry can be your accent, you will be happier than with a straight batch. Plus 4 gallons gives you more to learn from.

Just my perspective.

Cranberry raspberry is a old time favorite, but would need some good back sweetening.

It's an option.

Last edited:
One of our favorite finger lakes wines was a raspberry wine. A bit on the sweeter side a nice raspberry wine. Great desert wine.

This wonderfully aromatic treat is made from semi-sweet white wine infused with locally grown sun-ripened red raspberries. Intensely flavorful with lively acid, it's delicious by itself, as an aperitif, with chocolate or as an interesting addition to your cooking.
That has possibilities!
I just started (as in yesterday) a plum dessert wine. A bit more fruit, step feeding until the yeast crap out. In my mind a fruit dessert wine seems to make sense. That may be a good option.

Not really a Raspberry wine, is it, even though it was great?
:u Sorry, I've got my nit-picking hat on today.

I think we are in the same boat. New to wine making, excited for results and more interested in learning and understanding the differences made in batches than making one good wine.

I like your idea. I made my raspberry from the recipe in the pink recipe book. It's over 6 months and it's not drinkable. It's TART! It will need more.. Something! Back sweetening with juice, maybe. I plan to play with it over the next few days. I'll give you a better idea of where it is, but I think if raspberry can be your accent, you will be happier than with a straight batch. Plus 4 gallons gives you more to learn from.

Just my perspective.

Cranberry raspberry is a old time favorite, but would need some good back sweetening.

It's an option.
Yup, pink recipe book!!!
I back sweetened - oh yeah it need's that.

Thank goodness for vacuum sealing and freezers! I'm so glad I don't have to decide right now. And yes, we are in the same boat!

My red raspberry was WAY too tart and still not very good. I've done a million things to try to improve. Now, I'm trying to decide if they are going to be wine or jelly. Or adding color to white wines...hmm.

Yes they really multiply!

My red raspberry was WAY too tart and still not very good. I've done a million things to try to improve. Now, I'm trying to decide if they are going to be wine or jelly. Or adding color to white wines...hmm.

Yes they really multiply!
I have seen you post this a few times, and I was going to mention your thoughts in my last comment. I feel that my raspberry is going to be the same thing. Is is pucker your face sour candy tart. I may try back sweetening with a juice I like, but it is sweet and I may make it taste 'fake'.

I feel I won't be able to make it great, whether it is beyond repair, or beyond my skills to tweak. I don't know, but this is why I like the idea of blending.

Latest posts

Back