Designing labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsipn

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there's sites you can use that help you design labels and then order them from the site.

Is there a commonly used program that you use if you want to design and print your own? Word? Excel? Paint???

Thanks,

I know there's sites you can use that help you design labels and then order them from the site.

Is there a commonly used program that you use if you want to design and print your own? Word? Excel? Paint???

Thanks,
I have not used these website yet but intend to do on 30 bottles I have aging. I found this on another thread on the forum Custom Homebrew Labels & Personalized Beer or Wine Bottle Labels - GrogTag
Labels Online - Blank & Printed, Stickers & More | SheetLabels.com®

I'm not very artistic so I tend to use labels that come with wine kits or buy wine labels from Label Peelers. However, I have made a few labels and found the Avery.com software easy and intuitive to use.
I am not artistic either, but I have purchased several fun and "artistic" labels from such places as: Etsy.com, and Bottleyourbrand.com. I was able to personalize them. They are inexpensive, and after purchasing you can always make more by fitting onto an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, and print off more of the same onto 8 1/2 sticker sheets from Avery (4 labels per sheet).............Dizzy

Yeah, I've looked at some of these sites and I think I can use. One problem I was running into though is that I'm wanting a certain font that I can't seem to find on any of them.

Oh well...it's not that big of deal. I'm sure it's just easier to design and order them from the sites and it's fairly cheap.

I am not artistic either, but I have purchased several fun and "artistic" labels from such places as: Etsy.com, and Bottleyourbrand.com. I was able to personalize them. They are inexpensive, and after purchasing you can always make more by fitting onto an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, and print off more of the same onto 8 1/2 sticker sheets from Avery (4 labels per sheet).............Dizzy

Thanks, @DizzyIzzy. I'll check those two websites out.

All of my labels start as .jpg photos. They are then cropped, text added, colors tweeked. As a Linux desktop person the photo editing tool is Gimp. As an IPad person I would use the built in tools or in the old days paint would work.
The avatar/ image I loaded is from a wine label, ,,, no the sunsets aren’t really that orange.
My carboy runs are small/ 2 cases so I will add the flavor note with a colored paint pen.

Avery has a free tool called Design & Print. I use the installed version for Windows 10.

This tool is designed to produce labels printed on Avery labels ... but I have printed on heavier stock and cut with a photo cutter (labels are neatly rectangular). This software requires the user to select a label (Avery has a type for every need I can think of), and you design one label. It automatically replicates that label across the printed page, e.g., if the selected label is 2 wide by 4 high, it produces 8 labels on the page.

There is an online version I tried a couple of years ago, but it used fonts my printer didn't have, and produced ugly labels. The installed version permits use of whatever fonts your PC & printer have.

I use Scribus for linux, it is also available for windows and is a full desktop publishing app. I then take the finished artwork (as a pdf or jpg) and print using glabel.

I received an email from Avery, stating that they are discontinuing the desktop version of their product. However, it will continue to work, so I'll continue until I find something better.

Their online version is apparently their focus.

To anyone: I'm happy to design your wine labels if you provide direction and wine info - we can talk pricing but I can offer tiers: $25, $100, $250, $500+ depending on how intricate you want it. I would use photoshop and illustrator and provide a format you could get printed at any label shop. I am an artist/designer by trade.

As a Linux desktop person the photo editing tool is Gimp.
Gimp is also available for Windows. It’s a steep learning curve, as is Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, but it is free, and just as capable, for the most part. Lots of good tutorials on YouTube too.
I use Scribus for linux, it is also available for windows and is a full desktop publishing app.
I just found this, but haven’t installed it yet. Gimp is a great photo editor, but not much of a page layout app. I’m looking forward to checking it out.

I've been using Grogtag and am pretty much happy with them. I design the lagels in paint and then upload the image. I'm looking at other sites to possibly try.

Question, do any of you know of a label site that would be able to print a border with a shiny metallic looking gold? Everything I see will do gold, but it's not shiny like I want.

I've been using Grogtag and am pretty much happy with them. I design the lagels in paint and then upload the image. I'm looking at other sites to possibly try.

Question, do any of you know of a label site that would be able to print a border with a shiny metallic looking gold? Everything I see will do gold, but it's not shiny like I want.
Check out Www.stonecreekwinepress.com
You can create your own labels, I use their templates. I am Not that creative!

I'm still using the desktop version of Avery Design & Print. While it's not the most full featured tool, it works, and when I create a label it scales it across the media. I print to PDF and take it to Staples, and have no problems getting it printed.

My 8 yo inkjet is not doing so well, so I'm considering replacing it with a color laser printer.

Latest posts

Back