Demijohns--What kind of wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

DemiJane

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, wondering what kind of wine would usually have been in demijohns, red? White, rose? Having a hard time finding info on this, and seeing also info on carboys (white wine?).
Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

DemiJane

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. Sorry I was unclear. More specific: I'm wondering when wine was sold in these, say in the 60s and 70s, was a particular wine sold in them, or were many types of wines on offer in these?
Thanks.

Reaction score
More specific: I'm wondering when wine was sold in these, say in the 60s and 70s, was a particular wine sold in them, or were many types of wines on offer in these?
What size demijohns? I tend to think of 3 to 6 US gallons, although around the world the term is applied to containers as small as 2 liters.

If you mean regarding smaller containers, I recall Gallo selling all its wines (white, red, port) in 2, 3, and 4 liter bottles when I was a kid. I don't know of sales in containers above 4 liters.

DemiJane

Junior
Reaction score
Wow, I'm terrible at this, didn't even think of container size :D Thinking on it, I did mean the smaller kind. I'm a writer, not a winer, and just needed to know if I was saying something totally silly by writing, say, white wine into a demijohn. And then a reader comes along with a "hey, dumbass, no one ever put white wine in a demijohn... " So thank you, I appreciate it!!!

Latest posts