Demi john warmer viking mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie50

Junior
Reaction score
Thought I'd say hi, started winemaking in the UK this year, asked a knitting friend to make me a viking mead demi john cover, looked pretty cool, what do you all think?received_1710902049085422.jpeg

Certainly looks interesting but I am always fascinated by the attraction folk have for "viking" culture when it comes to mead. Historically, the only continent on the planet where mead has no indigenous history going back to the dawn of human culture is Australia...

True to BernardSmith's comments: Mead, and its variations, is a fermentation with global roots.

BUT it is also true to say that the Viking culture pationately-embraced the aura about MEAD.

See the attached for background.

A brief discussion on Asgard, Odin and Valhalla:

*Asgard is one of nine worlds in Norse mythology.

*The Norse gods reside in Asgard.

*Inside the gates of Asgard is Valhalla. This is "the hall of the slain”.

*Valhalla is an enormous palace, walled with spears and roofed with shields.

*Odin is the ruler of Valhalla and is the god of wisdom, divination, death and war.

*The dead who reside in Valhalla fight one another, doing countless valorous deeds.

*But every evening, all their wounds are healed and they are restored to full-health.

*All this fighting encourages an appetite.

*Their meat is derived from the boar, Saehrimnir, who comes back to life every time he is butchered.

*For their drink they have mead that comes from the udder of the goat, Heidrun.

*All this is served by gorgeous women, the voluptuous Valkyries.

*In Valhalla, the warriors savor all of this: the fighting, the fine food and drink and beautiful women, into all of eternity.

The Nine Worlds of Norse Mythology:

Midgard, the world of humanity
Asgard, the world of the Aesir tribe of gods and goddesses
Vanaheim, the world of the Vanir tribe of gods and goddesses
Jotunheim, the world of the giants
Niflheim, the world of ice
Muspelheim, the world of fire
Alfheim, the world of the elves
Nidavellir/Svartalfheim, the world of the dwarves
Hel, the world the dead

Latest posts

Back