RJ Spagnols Delu Ranch Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
About to make this one....The directions say to put the grape skins in the included hop bag, or just dump in alone for better color....Anyone have any suggestions to which is better.....Do the skins float or sink?

Thanks

Best to add them to the bag. Reason is its easier to remove.

Thanks.....Should I boil the bag first, or just thrown it in???

Also, i've heard talk of fermenting this out in the primary, say 14 days as opposed to 7-8, instead of racking at 1.020....Maybe it stays on the oak and skins longer....Any opinions on this idea...

Last edited:
I would do the same. I have done many of these kits and they all get excellent color and flavor extraction.

Thanks.....Should I boil the bag first, or just thrown it in???

Also, i've heard talk of fermenting this out in the primary, say 14 days as opposed to 7-8, instead of racking at 1.020....Maybe it stays on the oak and skins longer....Any opinions on this idea...

Was the bag in a bag? if so just add. What do the directions say? If you had some extra k-meta make some and dip and squeeze out the meta and add the skins.
I have never been a fan on the amount of days fermenting, rather use your hydrometer. Temps and climate can make a big difference in how fast it ferments.
I would still rack @ 1.020. Did you get powdered oak with the kit? most oak that comes in kits is that of super fine and will be absorbed real fast.

I always ferment reds dry in the bucket with lid on for the last bit to insure some good protection from the C02.

Latest posts

Back