Delayed racking after fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iridium

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently started an apple wine and everything was going well. I make small batches and used 6 quarts of apple juice, 2 cups of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and a packet of yeast. My first pH reading was 3.2 which I thought was too low so I added a tsp of calcium carbonate which raised it too high. So I added a tsp of acid blend to get it back to 3.5.

Primary fermentation went well until yesterday when it just stopped. Specific gravity was 0.994 so I know it fermented dry. So far everything looks like it is going great.

Here is the problem. My rack magic became unusable before I was able to rack into a carboy to start bulk aging. A new one is on its way, but won't be here until Tuesday. So I have closed the lid on the primary fermentation bucket, but am wondering if the three day delay will be okay. Should I add some k-meta at this point?

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

You should be fine and yes k meta but id leave it till Tuesday, disturb it one time and be done

Why not just siphon it out the old fashioned way? I have a similar racking siphon - I tried it once. It started to suck up lees 2" from the bottom of the fermenter.

Back