Delayed racking after fermentation

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by iridium, Apr 22, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. iridium

iridium Supporting Members Supporting Member

I recently started an apple wine and everything was going well. I make small batches and used 6 quarts of apple juice, 2 cups of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and a packet of yeast. My first pH reading was 3.2 which I thought was too low so I added a tsp of calcium carbonate which raised it too high. So I added a tsp of acid blend to get it back to 3.5.

Primary fermentation went well until yesterday when it just stopped. Specific gravity was 0.994 so I know it fermented dry. So far everything looks like it is going great.

Here is the problem. My rack magic became unusable before I was able to rack into a carboy to start bulk aging. A new one is on its way, but won't be here until Tuesday. So I have closed the lid on the primary fermentation bucket, but am wondering if the three day delay will be okay. Should I add some k-meta at this point?

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

2. meadmaker1

meadmaker1 Member

You should be fine and yes k meta but id leave it till Tuesday, disturb it one time and be done

3. wildhair

wildhair Member

Why not just siphon it out the old fashioned way? I have a similar racking siphon - I tried it once. It started to suck up lees 2" from the bottom of the fermenter.