Dehumidifier question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
In my basement the temperature is around 79 to 80 degrees. One of my friends said that if I put a dehumdifier down there, that I could get the temp to drop a few degrees. Is that right?

I doubt that it will lower temp. It will make it more comfortable.

Actually the dehumidifier puts out heat while it works so you may find the opposite. It does however make it feel cooler due to the lower humidity.

I run one almost year round. Very damp area. It keeps me in the sixties in the winter and 70's in the summer.

The damper air is better for the corks (to a degree) but I worry more about wood rot in my home so I run it.

I agree with above. I use one in the extreme summer in my cellar and it raises the temp a bit but it is needed to keep the humidity down or youll get mold on the corks.

I forgot to turn mine on last year and I first notice moisture on my bottles. Now I leave it on year round on the very lowest setting with no problems.

Thats what I do also with leaving it on as I did the same thing with forgetting to turn it on cause when I leave in the morning its usually not that bad and then by lunch its brutal and thats when I realized that I left it off and my water holding tank and water filters are in that cellar which especially when the water is in use can sweat something fierce dripping on everything and causing puddling on the floor like a toilet tank can. That why some new houses actually have some warm water running to toilet tanks to prevent this sweating. When we bought our house some idiot plumber tried setting it up like this but didnt adjust the valve correctly and hot scalding water running to the toilet, I sat down to do you know what after someone had just used the bathroom and felt heat down there so I sat up and looked and discovered almost boiling temps. Doing a #2 in that would have coked them turds! :s

OK, Thanks, I guess I will have to build a little room within a room.

a sheet of 1.5 to 2 inch thick pink rigid foam insulation works great for making a fermentation chamber...especially if you can devise a way to pump cold air in to it, like from an a/c vent.

Latest posts

Back