Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndd1

Reaction score
Regarding degassing, should I degass prior to filtering with Bentonite or after clarifying with Bentonite just prior to bottling? Or, does it matter?

Regarding degassing, should I degass prior to filtering with Bentonite or after clarifying with Bentonite just prior to bottling? Or, does it matter?
How long are you bulk aging? If it's at least 3 months, you may not need to degas. If you are bottling sooner, you should.

I started degassing all wines a few years back, as the wines clear faster, but it's not necessary.

Note on degassing: kits recommend 3 to 10 minutes of stirring to degas. IME, this is overkill to ensure beginners don't make bottle volcanoes.

My current process is to stir for 1 minute with a drill mounted stirring rod, changing direction half way through. This does not eliminate all CO2, and it's not intended to. It jump starts the process, and the wine degasses in the following weeks. If bottling on a kit 4 week schedule (which I don't recommend), the wine will be in a condition to bottle.

Also, there is no need to make the wine foam up. Degassing takes less effort than many believe.

Since this was my first attempt at making wine I started from welch's grape juice and 10 pounds of sugar. My abv was 17% so I added water to get it down to 15%. I now have about 7 gallons total. I started it in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket and an additional 1 gallon glass jug. After about three days I transferred 6 gallons over to my fastferment and will let it go until sg reaches 1.000. I have thought about adding bentonite but is it necessary since I started with filtered grape juice and everything else will be settling to the bottom of the catch reservoir on the bottom of the fastferment. So now I am trying to decide when and if to degass this batch. I also started 5 gallons of strawberry banana and watermelon wine both using mesh bags.

I have thought about adding bentonite but is it necessary since I started with filtered grape juice and everything else will be settling to the bottom of the catch reservoir on the bottom of the fastferment. So now I am trying to decide when and if to degass this batch.
Fermentation is considered complete when the SG <= 0.998 and remains constant for 3 days. Degassing before fermentation completes is pointless, as the yeast is continuing to produce CO2.

After you are sure fermentation is complete, remove the sediment, and degas if you want. It's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt to do it. Then rack to a carboy + gallon jug(s). I keep a wide selections of bottles on hand for excess wine. A #3 drilled stopper fits regular wine bottles -- it's a good idea to have a bunch of 'em, plus extra airlocks.

The wine is going to drop sediment for months. During the 24 to 72 hours after fermentation completes, the gross lees (fruit solids) drops. Yours is juice so there will be little of this. After that, fine lees (yeast hulls) may drop for months. Most wines clear on their own, although fining agents help the process along and force wines that refuse to clear on their own. The use of bentonite (or any fining agent) is optional.

How long are you bulk aging? If it's at least 3 months, you may not need to degas. If you are bottling sooner, you should.

I started degassing all wines a few years back, as the wines clear faster, but it's not necessary.
Degassing is cheap insurance to prevent any unwanted fizz in your wine. I degass every batch even when I bulk age for 12 months.

I bottled some blackberry wine a little over a month ago. I back sweetened after adding sorbate and immediately bottled. It had bulk aged for 4 months. I did not degass. Last night out of curiosity I opened one of my beer bottles of the extra to take a taste. It has a fizz to it, but I liked it. But is that fizz an issue, will it possibly cause an explosion in the bottled wine? I used screw tops, should I unscrew them and let the gas out? Or should I just drink it all now 😂. Its only a gallon.

I bottled some blackberry wine a little over a month ago. I back sweetened after adding sorbate and immediately bottled. It had bulk aged for 4 months. I did not degass. Last night out of curiosity I opened one of my beer bottles of the extra to take a taste. It has a fizz to it, but I liked it. But is that fizz an issue, will it possibly cause an explosion in the bottled wine? I used screw tops, should I unscrew them and let the gas out? Or should I just drink it all now 😂. Its only a gallon.
If you used corks, pressure may blow the corks -- producing messy mini-volcanoes but nothing dangerous.

However, screw cap bottles have no way to relieve pressure -- your safest course of action is to unscrew the caps and relieve any pressure.

Regular wine bottles are "unrated", meaning they are not safe at any pressure level.

My guess is it’s just residual CO2, it’s not going to get worse. That’s based on your description of it being fizzy. If you would have said you saw foaming I would change my mind. I would put in a plastic tote in case one does let loose, otherwise just enjoy them for what they are.

Only a gallon? That’s one evening.

Back