Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berger

Junior
Reaction score
Recently I used a vacuum pump to degas my wine.First I transferred from one carboy to another and it worked great,then while doing it the second time there was an emergence( wife called me ) and I had to shut it off when I turned it back on some wine got all the way back to pump so I quickly turned it off.So I cleaned the line,the clear bowl is that enough or should I takeoff the head to clean also, there is no vacuum.HELP

Depends on the pump. If it is an all in one, just run water through it. I have another pump, where I couldn’t do that. I disassembled the pump, cleaned all the parts and reassembled, works like a champ.

Depends on the pump. If it is an all in one, just run water through it. I have another pump, where I couldn’t do that. I disassembled the pump, cleaned all the parts and reassembled, works like a champ.
It's a Blichmann I took off the head and end piece cleaned but still no vacuum maybe I should do it again.Can I clean with alcohol ?

It's a Blichmann I took off the head and end piece cleaned but still no vacuum maybe I should do it again.Can I clean with alcohol ?
LOL, I have a Blichmann too, which is the one I've had to take apart, more than once. Pull the head, and rinse the unit out and dry it. Check to make sure there is nothing stuck in the diaphragm that is keeping the valve stuck open.

LOL, I have a Blichmann too, which is the one I've had to take apart, more than once. Pull the head, and rinse the unit out and dry it. Check to make sure there is nothing stuck in the diaphragm that is keeping the valve stuck open.
Thanks

All is well it works fine,again tks. It only goes to about 620 is that normal.

620 mm of HG is 24.4 inches of HG, which is a better than I get. What I also do is create a vortex in the carboy while it is under pressure by rotating the carboy, while it is on its edge. It helps pull the CO2 out of solution. Also, having the temperature of the wine over 70 degrees helps as well.

I also use a vacuum pump sometimes to de-gas. You really do not want to go any more than 25 inches on the vacuum. Vacuum, much like pressure, places stress on the glass. Hence, too much vacuum can cause an implosion.

Now it makes me wonder what would happen if I used my refrigeration vacuum pump. I sense an experiment in my future. I think there is an old used carboy laying around here somewhere. Will definitely make sure everything is safe if it comes to that!

I also use a vacuum pump sometimes to de-gas. You really do not want to go any more than 25 inches on the vacuum. Vacuum, much like pressure, places stress on the glass. Hence, too much vacuum can cause an implosion.

Now it makes me wonder what would happen if I used my refrigeration vacuum pump. I sense an experiment in my future. I think there is an old used carboy laying around here somewhere. Will definitely make sure everything is safe if it comes to that!

Latest posts

Back