Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
I broke my car boy spoon and don't yet have a drill de gasser so I bought a paint mixer to powerfully stir my wines. I have endeavoured to keep it from scoring my primary pail as it won't fit into a carboy which also eliminates foam over. Has anyone used a new sterilized paint mixer effectively (this one has been painted red)? TIA

I'm not quite certain what type of paint mixer your speaking of... I would suggest saving some $ and picking up an All In One wine pump from Steve

Yes I did and I did not like and it not seem to work any better than the spoon. However, with that addition of a common 16 penny nail driven into a stud....it does make a handy perch to hang hoses and such off of, and comes with added feature of causing my wife to say "take that dang thing down" every time she walks in the my office!

Yes I did and I did not like and it not seem to work any better than the spoon. However, with that addition of a common 16 penny nail driven into a stud....it does make a handy perch to hang hoses and such off of, and comes with added feature of causing my wife to say "take that dang thing down" every time she walks in the my office!

You have to be the first person of of several who feel that way about it. I have one, never really worry about degassing, it just happens during the normal three or four vacuum rankings normally done to make wine.

@ Mismost -

Please PM me - leave me a contact phone # - so I can call you and go over any questions or concerns you may have.

Or you can always contact me on my homepage of my website as I will contact you nearly immediately.

There are alot of variables when degassing - mainly the wine temperature id the biggest role.

Last edited:
I broke my car boy spoon and don't yet have a drill de gasser so I bought a paint mixer to powerfully stir my wines. I have endeavoured to keep it from scoring my primary pail as it won't fit into a carboy which also eliminates foam over. Has anyone used a new sterilized paint mixer effectively (this one has been painted red)? TIA

No, but... Drill a hole(s) in each paddle and attach a nylon tie(s). You will effectively have a wine whip/agitator as good or better than those sold commercially as such. Don't leave the ties so long that they'll scratch the side of your primary.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome! I will try to acquire the allinonepump ASAP as well as about two more carboys. It seems to be the best investment so far. I feel like I'm muddling by! I am learning fast, though and I noticed from previous threads that wine making isn't really cheaper than wholesale until you have acquired all of the nick-nacks for home brewing that don't tend to come with a starter kit! It also seems to be like canning preserves when you would ask for your jars/ bottles back for refills [emoji41]

@ Mismost -

Please PM me - leave me a contact phone # - so I can call you and go over any questions or concerns you may have.

Or you can always contact me on my homepage of my website as I will contact you nearly immediately.

There are alot of variables when degassing - mainly the wine temperature id the biggest role.

You have to be the first person of of several who feel that way about it. I have one, never really worry about degassing, it just happens during the normal three or four vacuum rankings normally done to make wine.

I am thinking @Mismost was talking about a paint mixer for a drill...?

Last edited:
@ Mismost -

Steve I'm good! Read the first post...we are talking about using a paint stirrer to degass...not the AIO. The pump should be required equipment, best money I've spent...love it. Played with it all week end....racking, degassing...racking again, just because it was fun! And bottled 3 five gallon batches...just way to cool a machine!

Your instructions did lack a warning about things like 6 gallons will not fit into a 5 gallon carboy...or WARNING! Does Not Cure Stupidity! But other than that, I'm all good.

It also seems to be like canning preserves when you would ask for your jars/ bottles back for refills [emoji41]

ALL my wine labels have a "return my dang bottle" ...or "magical bottles, more wine will appear if bottles are returned"....bottles are my bottle neck right now.

Steve I'm good! Read the first post...we are talking about using a paint stirrer to degass...not the AIO. The pump should be required equipment, best money I've spent...love it. Played with it all week end....racking, degassing...racking again, just because it was fun! And bottled 3 five gallon batches...just way to cool a machine!

Your instructions did lack a warning about things like 6 gallons will not fit into a 5 gallon carboy...or WARNING! Does Not Cure Stupidity! But other than that, I'm all good.

Thanks for the clarification !
I haven't had an issue with anyone that I actually made sure how to use it properly.

I understand about the carboy issue - LOL !

I picked up a longer spoon from Midwest and cut the spoon off and use the handle end for stirring. Fits in 3/8 drill. If you put the spoon in hot water it will become pliable enough to put a slight kink in it which gives more off center wobble action. Fits in a carboy neck as well.

I picked up a longer spoon from Midwest and cut the spoon off and use the handle end for stirring. Fits in 3/8 drill. If you put the spoon in hot water it will become pliable enough to put a slight kink in it which gives more off center wobble action. Fits in a carboy neck as well.

Adding 2 nylon ties to that handle end should make that homemade wine whip more efficient.

After transferring some carboys last night, and bottling some others, the above quote from Steve is the most important! I had planned on bottling three carboys of which two I had heated up, and had not on the third. The first two went well in the bottle and no fizz on shake test. First bottle in on the third carboy failed the shake test even after two transfers with the AOI pump. I LOVE my AIO pump, but it cannot defy the gassy devils and completely degas a wine if it is not at the right temperature. It doesn't matter if you use a pump, whip, or spoon, you will have gassy wine if you don't bring up to temperature.

Latest posts

Back