Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I'll try to shorten this, but still give enuf info for a educated guess. 5 Gallons of Elderberrs, started at 1.090 and finished at .990. Added k-Meta and sorbate, a couple of days later added sparkolloid. Back sweetened to 1.020 and hasn't changed for the last 2 weeks. Problem is I can't get rid of all the gas. With vacuum pump, 26 " Hg can get wine to where there are no bubbles comming up. Do the shake test and get a pretty good puff. Shake the carboy and get tons of very small bubbles. Wine temp is at 70*, why can't I get rid of the tiny bubbles, read that large bubbles are air and tiny bubbles are CO2 (true or false). Got any ideas on why I don't have any bubbles with 26" Hg, but when shake carboy get tons of em and poof test shows I have CO2. Thanks for any help. Note: I have 3 ea 5 gallon carboys, made at the same time and all are doing the same???
Thanks
Semper Fi

I find Elderberry one of the best wines there is, I like it's flavor, body and nose. However I also find it rather quirky, It seems to produce odd sediment even on the top and sides of the carboy. The Goo is pain! And I believe due to it's body degasses slowly. I splash rack, with Mu vacuum pump after fermentation, then again in 30 to 45 days, then around the 60 day mark and every 90 days for the next 6 months. this bulk aging, and the splash racking seems to produce a nice still elderberry wine,

Latest posts

Back