degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with a kit..yes.

instructions are very early for degassing and stabilising/sweetening.

Allie

I do a lot of fruit wine. and I just leave the wine to degas on its own.

Others here will advise you to stir the wine a lot. We all do things differently.

Allie

Thanks Allie......I'm going to start my second batch soon....it's gonna be Muscadine. Any good recipe suggestions?

Last edited:
I don't have access to muscadine juice.
I'm sure there will be help along soon for you.
Am planning a muscat area in my own garden. So far I have no experience or recipes to share.

I'm planting vines this year..

Allie

Is there any certian point u need t degas the wine ?
I degas fruit wines after I stabilize and every other racking.
You need to add clearing agents to fruit wines. If you do not degas before adding clarifier to will not completely clear.

Do I use the clearing agents when I get ready to bottle?......Degas,add clarifier, then bottle...

You would want to add that 4-8 weeks before bottling. Reason is takes a while for fruit to drop all the solids.

degas, stabilise the wine and backsweeten if you are going to sweeten it, then add clearing agents..

I find most fruit wines do clear themselves eventually on their own.. just leave it in a cool place for a month.. If they are stubborn after a month with no real clarity happening, then I will use a fining agent. Even after a fining agent is added they can take a long time to clear..

You can help your wine along in future by adding a little bentonite to your wine at the beginning of fermentation.

Allie

Hi, this thread has been very informative so I hope you don't mind me opening it again! I have 3 3gal. bottles of fruit wine ready to go that have been racked twice and bulk aging for 6 months. I have not degassed, stabilized, sweetened, or added fining agents yet. Allie said to do all of these, but my question is can I do them all at once, in the order that Allie stated? 1. Degas. 2. Sweeten and stabilize (with what and how much?) 3. Fining agents. Do all of these one right after the other in the same day? Or if I spread it out, how much time between each? I have no idea how this wine is going to turn out, but I'm excited about the wine finally being about done! How soon before I can drink it? Your time here is greatly appreciated!

Sure you can.
look above for what Allie said

degas, stabilise the wine and backsweeten if you are going to sweeten it, then add clearing agents..

I find most fruit wines do clear themselves eventually on their own.. just leave it in a cool place for a month.. If they are stubborn after a month with no real clarity happening, then I will use a fining agent. Even after a fining agent is added they can take a long time to clear..

You can help your wine along in future by adding a little bentonite to your wine at the beginning of fermentation.

Back