Degassing without vacuum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using the wine whip in a bucket would probably be faster as there is more surface area able to release the gas, but wouldn't the wine be more exposed to oxygen?
I believe that the answer is yes.That is why most of the kit instruction suggest using carboy. More surface area to release Co2 also means more surface area to introduce air. It's a double–edged sword.

But using bucket is more convenient. So it all comes down to personal preference.

Another trick is to keep your whip to the bottom of the container, not the surface.

:b

:ot: You have a post talking about temperature and vacuum and degassing - not what he is asking for -
"
I would suspect you would want the vacuum to be between -30 and -20 inHG. But I'm not sure what the carboy can tolerate. I'll have to check that out, it's probably good but I'm curious."

Yes I would be nervous myself bringing a carboy to those numbers also. Not sure where the breaking point would be - but I dont want to take a chance , so I dont suggest going above 22 in hg

We both are. That's why I created that thread...

I use two very old tools to degass my wine .
A barrel and time . Rack wine into barrel , and wait .

Works every time .

Latest posts

Back