Degassing without vacuum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at making my own degassing and racking system. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap vacuum pump. Preferable oil less, food or medical grade.

I'm looking at making my own degassing and racking system. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap vacuum pump. Preferable oil less, food or medical grade.

Geos - this topic is degassing without using a vacuum pump

there are some other topics on DIY on how to build a vacuum pump - not sure if they are oil less,food or medical grade - but the Allinone does have all those spec you just mentioned.

Ebay is your friend :)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=VACUUM PUMP OILLESS&_sop=15

The first one $59 buy it now is oilless and is rated at -27" but looks like need to be hooked up.

the only one I saw on that link was this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxi-Myst-C.../390547819318?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item5aee76cb36

It appears to be a air supply not a vacuum pump - unless it is already sold
but it is 59 dollars and oilless pump

Here is a complete step by step illustration on how to build a homemade vacuum pump set up

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/entries/

I hope this helps

Ebay is your friend :)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=VACUUM PUMP OILLESS&_sop=15

The first one $59 buy it now is oilless and is rated at -27" but looks like need to be hooked up.

:sh Seems the one I was referring is already gone.

Another thing to check before you buy is to ask the seller how many inch/Hg it can pull. Anything higher than -20" will not be effective (the lower the better). If the temperature is lower than 65F(18C) than get a pump that can do -25".

:ot:

aside from letting it set for about a year, then end of a spoon, or the ones that attach to the end of a drill, there are two options left:
If you are built like the hulk you can put a solid bung in it and shake it, relieving the pressure every now and then.
Or
Strap it to the front seat of your car and drive down a bumpy road, also with a solid bung and relieving pressure every now and then

Last two not recommended.:)

:sh Seems the one I was referring is already gone.

Another thing to check before you buy is to ask the seller how many inch/Hg it can pull. Anything higher than -20" will not be effective (the lower the better). If the temperature is lower than 65F(18C) than get a pump that can do -25".

I would suspect you would want the vacuum to be between -30 and -20 inHG. But I'm not sure what the carboy can tolerate. I'll have to check that out, it's probably good but I'm curious.

I and a lot others on this form believe that you should never go above 22in hg in vacuum, the pump designed for the Allinone will only go to 22 because I did not want to put the responsibility on the user to adjust the vacuum correctly without the possibilities of breaking a Carboy and getting hurt or simply boiling off your alcohol.

I would suspect you would want the vacuum to be between -30 and -20 inHG. But I'm not sure what the carboy can tolerate. I'll have to check that out, it's probably good but I'm curious.

If you want to check my youtube videos on my website, I was degassing at -26 inHg in my garage and the temperature was at 10C (50F).

Last edited:
You are absolutely right. at 74F, alcohol boil when vacuum pressure reaches -26 inHg.

However I would like to give my users the flexibility to adjust the pressure because room temperature changes.

I will put up a table of temperature/vacuum pressure on my website soon and include it in the manual. Thanks for bring it up.

Now we are so off the topic :D I may create a new post somewhere else later if anyone is interested.

I and a lot others on this form believe that you should never go above 22in hg in vacuum, the pump designed for the Allinone will only go to 22 because I did not want to put the responsibility on the user to adjust the vacuum correctly without the possibilities of breaking a Carboy and getting hurt or simply boiling off your alcohol.

Ill, in my spare time, check the strength of the glass and it's thickness and see what its tensle strength is. The cylindrical shape will help bit I should be able to estimate how much pressure it can take. I'll let you know.

That's correct

In my FAQ's it talks how you can use a Better Bottle in conjunction with a glass vessel

Last edited:
:ot:

aside from letting it set for about a year, then end of a spoon, or the ones that attach to the end of a drill, there are two options left:
If you are built like the hulk you can put a solid bung in it and shake it, relieving the pressure every now and then.
Or
Strap it to the front seat of your car and drive down a bumpy road, also with a solid bung and relieving pressure every now and then

Last two not recommended.:)

I have actually picked up my wine and shook. Not only does it degass, but it is great for your pecks. (and blowing your back out). I must have had some issues to work out.

However I digress.
I am using a hanger (plastic) in my wine.
I just racked a batch of 3 year old Chianti.
I got a ton of bubble and foaming.
So I have been degassing daily, because I want to bottle in the next few weeks.

Is the excessive bubbles/foam from not being propperly degassed in the 1st place or from the racking (w/siphon) or am I creating the bubbles by whipping the wine?

I've been considering the all-in-one pump. It looks like a great time saver, and it's probably a big help to a newbie...I'm sure after using it there would be no question a wine is degassed.

I've been using a wine whip as of late. I'm wondering if people more often do it in a carboy or a bucket. The carboy has a much smaller opening which makes degassing more difficult and longer. Using the wine whip in a bucket would probably be faster as there is more surface area able to release the gas, but wouldn't the wine be more exposed to oxygen?

I've been considering the all-in-one pump. It looks like a great time saver, and it's probably a big help to a newbie...I'm sure after using it there would be no question a wine is degassed.

I've been using a wine whip as of late. I'm wondering if people more often do it in a carboy or a bucket. The carboy has a much smaller opening which makes degassing more difficult and longer. Using the wine whip in a bucket would probably be faster as there is more surface area able to release the gas, but wouldn't the wine be more exposed to oxygen?

I have seen people use both - I think it would be safer to use a bucket if you can. I say this because if you CO2 and stir it enough it will act like a volcano inside the carboy. I personally had this experience and holding the top of the carboy with my hands as wine was being sprayed everywhere !!!
Just be careful not to scratch the sides of the bucket.
Or cause a vortex forcing air into your wine

FYI: I created a new post to discuss the vacuum pressure and room temperature. :b

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/vacuum-degassing-how-much-vacuum-should-i-pull-why-37517/

:ot: You have a post talking about temperature and vacuum and degassing - not what he is asking for -
"
I would suspect you would want the vacuum to be between -30 and -20 inHG. But I'm not sure what the carboy can tolerate. I'll have to check that out, it's probably good but I'm curious."

Yes I would be nervous myself bringing a carboy to those numbers also. Not sure where the breaking point would be - but I dont want to take a chance , so I dont suggest going above 22 in hg

Latest posts

Back