Degassing without aeration??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryW

Reaction score
:?When degassing a kit, are supposed to try to agitate it WITHOUT aerating it at the same time? I didn't have one of those fancy drill driven degassing thing-a-ma-jigs, so i racked it into an open top container, beat the crap out a it with a wire whisk and put it back in the carboy. Added the prescribed stuff at the same time. Obviously added a lot of air. It is bottled now, but I am wondering if I messed up my first kit?:?

i suck the gasses out with a reynolds handi vac :D SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOL to watch the bubbles rush to the top and play "can i stop before an overflow" LMAO!!! great times!

You are probably just fine but you are not supposed to get much 02 in there. With the drill thing you nail it fast and then stop fast as your not whipping it, just agittating it!

You are probably just fine but you are not supposed to get much 02 in there. With the drill thing you nail it fast and the:)n stop fast as your not whipping it, just agittating it!

I see...thanks:)

I agittate the wine by play Disco music real loud . It aggitates the neighbors too. When I'm done I still have to degass it

I agitated mine by telling it the color was off and the aroma was poor. Whatever works for you I guess. Then I used my wife's vacuum sealer thingy.

:?When degassing a kit, are supposed to try to agitate it WITHOUT aerating it at the same time? I didn't have one of those fancy drill driven degassing thing-a-ma-jigs, so i racked it into an open top container, beat the crap out a it with a wire whisk and put it back in the carboy. Added the prescribed stuff at the same time. Obviously added a lot of air. It is bottled now, but I am wondering if I messed up my first kit?:?

You'll be fine Larry,

Not everyone has the flash drill things. I use a wooden spoon. And hell.. even the drill things add air to it.

It'll dissipate fast.....most kit instructions recommend stirring..not the latest in drill mounted agitators. Alternatively, let the carboy sit a few weeks..most of the gas will leave without help, all on its own.

Allie.

Latest posts

Back