Degassing with vacuum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kerbos5 & Pickles, Wade and I do not do it exactly the same, which shows that there is more than one way to skin cat. I don't think that I ever get much higher than 10 inches unless it was when I first got the pump. I'm sure that I never get that much vacuum now. I have taken the gage out of the system and just look at the speed of flow. I see no need to rush. Gas comes out each time that I rack and I just don't worry about it. After racking three times, all the gas is gone. The primary purpose of the vacuum pump for me is to rack without lifting, or spilling, or sucking, etc. For me it is easy, clean racking and the degassing is a welcome benefit. Soon you will have your own system and you will wonder how you ever did it without the pump. :b

Last edited:
I am testing my new Invacare IRC1135 before I use it to degas a batch of wine. It doesn’t seem to hold a vacuum after it is shut off. So I am not sure how to leave a vacuum on the wine for a period of time to ensure effective degassing as Wade suggests. Do you have any advice on how long you run your vacuum pump after the bubbles stop? In addition, it is evident that it will not pull as much suction with the canister connected. It appears to have a hard plastic canister and lid, so it is not surprising that it would leak somewhat. Is there some way to seal it? I was thinking about trying Vaseline.

I googled Invacare IRC1135. If you mean that the top of the canister leaks, try a washer or if there is a groove use an "O" ring. Or, maybe even Vaseline or caulk. Whatever you do, do not take the overflow out of the system.

You do not need to "hold a vacuum " on it. Begin at around 7-8 in vacuum and let it go to pull bubbles out. It will fizz up, but with that small amount, it shouldn't volcano. Once it tames down, keep upping the vaccum until you get to the max. When on maximum setting, it holds the vaccum much better. You just turn the adjuster knob in to increase the vac. It takes 5-10 minutes to get rid of all the gas. Anything more than that is not needed.

Perfect, that is exactly what I needed to know. I haven't been convinced that I degassed my first 3 batches correctly using the stirring method. I am hoping this method works better.

Yes, I do it differently as I learned how to do it after using a Mityvac which is a hand held Brake fluid evacuater which you pump up and it will hold the vacuum. What I do with mine is do just as Grapeman does but when I get it up to around 18-20" of vacuum I max the knob and shut it off and only when the knob is maxed out will it hold a vacuum. If I have degassed my wine thoroughly it will hold a vacuum, if not it will drop below 16" and that tells me I need to further it a little more. I believe you do have to have the cotton silencer in the exhaust port to help it hold the vacuum.

I was able to pickup a Invacare Aspirator Model IRC1135 last night for $40 on Ebay. =) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170513160397

images

Back