Other Degassing with three prong drill bit (plastic)

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

facn1989

Reaction score
Hi,

I degassed my wine twice using a drill bit for about 15 mins straight on one day and about 10 mins the next. I even switched the direction many times. Still could see bubbles coming out. Is it impossible to get all the bubbles out without a vacuum? I mean, it still cleared perfectly, but just curious for my next batch.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a vacuum. If using the drill works 95% I'm ok with that, since my wine is still very clear. I just bottled my first batch so don't know if that little gas has a long term effect

RiverRat

Reaction score
I am only a year into this hobby so my knowledge is very limited, but I imagine you have sufficiently degassed your wine. I read somewhere that large bubbles are not CO2. I usually drill for about a minute, let the CO2 release, drill, release, drill, release, and so on for about an hour. There is usually a very small amount of CO2 still rising when I quit - only enough to cover the edges, not the surface. So far I haven't had any bottles pop their corks. Also, I am under the impression that if you bulk age your wine, degassing will happen naturally. Good luck!

facn1989

Reaction score
Got it, thanks. Kits usually say you can stir vigorously with a spoon, but I doubt you can get enough CO2 by hand.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I degassed using the drill bit for about 30 minutes before putting in my carboy and that did the trick (checking by shaking the wine in a tube). It will degas for a little bit during bulk aging, and IIRC, it naturally degasses during racking as well.