degassing with brake bleeder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keena

Reaction score
So I got a brake bleeder for degassing. I seem to have an air tight seal with just putting the hose through the bung. What kind of vacuum pressure or whatever its called do I want? I took it to about 23 and got very little bubbles. Does that mean I degassed well with my coat hanger or do I need more vacuum? I'm scared to implode it! Lol

Here's a few pics

ForumRunner_20120628_165153.jpg

ForumRunner_20120628_165203.jpg

20 is enough. 22 is a little more than enough. Anymore and you could implode your carboy.

If you didn't get bubbles rising at 22 and the temperature of the wine is at least 72 to 74F, you did a pretty good job with your coat hanger.

Should the bubbles come out right away or do I have to let it sit for a few min?

Should the bubbles come out right away or do I have to let it sit for a few min?

Both!

When you first start degassing a wine that hasn't been previously degassed like yours, as soon as a good vacuum is pulled, the bubbles can start coming up faster than you can remove the vacuum. That's why you really need to start vacuum degassing very slowly and watchfully and break the vacuum if it creates a wine volcano. You don't want wine to get up in your bleeder.

Once the wine is near fully degassed, you can leave the vacuum on the container for 15 to 30 minutes; it shouldn't take any longer than that to complete. Generally, the vacuum won't hold that long and it will bleed down, so you may need to check it every few minutes and pull it back down. But during this (last) phase of degassing, you won't get very heavy bubbling. You can very slightly shake the carboy to help loosen the CO2, so it will release and come out.

Just before I bottle, I like to hit the carboy one last time with the vacuum, just to make sure it is degassed. This is optional, of course.

The problem with a bleeder setup like pictured is you don't have an overflow container to catch any wine that tries to come up into the hose to the bleeder. I think either Wade or Runningwolf have an older thread about how to make an overflow container with a small jar and lid.

Maybe someone can find it.

I believe it is totally necessary to ave an overflow, because it is nearly impossible to avoid foam ups (wine volcanoes) from getting into your vacuum tube. It can ruin a nice vacuum pump clog up a break bleeder pump.

Yep, they work great, provided they have a gauge, so you don't implode the carboy, which it CAN DO. The price is right, too!!!

Now I just need to find a way to make them work on better bottles:ft

Just buy one glass one to do the degassing in and then transfer to the better bottles for bulk storage. you could use another carboy anyways...:h

Thanks robie! Yea I was at the local home depot today and didn't know what I all needed to make the overflow tank. I'll get one made sooner or later but was to excited to wait. I was thinking of making it with a jar and 2 brake bleeder nipples from auto zone, I mean it is a brake bleeder made to bleed those anyways right. Lol

Yep,besides several sizes of glass carboys, I have a couple of Better Bottles, too. Found out right away that you can't effectively degas in BB's.

I think a decent overflow jar is just a small, thick glass jar with two holes drilled in the lib. Use fittings and seals that won't break the vacuum. Other than the jar and lid, you should be able to buy the fittings and seals at most hardware stores.

I sometimes think I enjoy improvising with something like a break bleeder and jar more than I do going the traditional route. It is just more personally rewarding and fun in the end.

I need to find a jar that works and has a good seal but I must say the ones I degassed without the overflow tank worked awesome! This is a genius idea! And so easy!

I need to find a jar that works and has a good seal but I must say the ones I degassed without the overflow tank worked awesome! This is a genius idea! And so easy!

I do sell a reservoir kit to help those -

Wine bottle vacuum reservoir conversion kit $10.00 + $3.00 shipping
- custom drilled tapered stopper that will aid in preventing liquid from entering the pump, 3/16’’ or 1/4’’ inlet – 1/4’’ outlet )
You can purchase a small piece of 3’’ pvc pipe and a floor mount and you are ready to go!

vacuumpumpman said:
I do sell a reservoir kit to help those -

Wine bottle vacuum reservoir conversion kit $10.00 + $3.00 shipping
- custom drilled tapered stopper that will aid in preventing liquid from entering the pump, 3/16’’ or 1/4’’ inlet – 1/4’’ outlet )
You can purchase a small piece of 3’’ pvc pipe and a floor mount and you are ready to go!

If I don't get my idea to work I might have to pm you!

Just buy one glass one to do the degassing in and then transfer to the better bottles for bulk storage. you could use another carboy anyways...:h

Another Genius Idea
Now If I can only talk the misses into letting me turn the second bathroom into a wine closest, Beside, a man (or woman) can only use one at a time anyway , right?
:b

Hey Duster;
I tell some people who use better bottles to transfer to a higher elvation to glass and then you can gravity transfer into the better bottles without lifting a carboy. I hope that will help you

Latest posts

Back