Degassing Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcorn63

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
Been following this forum over the last six months ,followed loads of suggestions and sorted out problems I've had with help from the forum questions and answers.Thank you . Anyway ,So thought I would finally chip in a comment that might help other totally new wine makers like myself. I have had a bit of trouble with degassing wine i and have found a little bit of kit which is brilliantly simple on eBay to do this for you with no messing about and it's ,only £3.99. I got the idea originaly from a YouTube video advert. The hand vacuum pump has obviously been designed for removing the air and resealing partly used bottles of wine. To stop them going off after drinking a glass or two. It comes with x2 special airtight bungs with an air sealing & release button on the top ,you push it into bottle top press vacuum pump on top and pump it to remove all air . Basically I thought if I could increase the bung size to fit a demijohn it would be ideal for degassing wine by creating a vacuum . & Also for bulk storage after racking, as if the demijohn is not full to top and has an air gap, simply put the bung in and draw air out until your ready to bottle. Anyway I ordered one and gave it a try and it works 100% . All I have done. Is cored out a 16m hole with a keyhole cutter in a solid rubber demijohn bung ,inserted one of the 16m bottle bungs that came with the wine pump, into the cored out rubber bung. Pushed into the top of my fermented 1 gallon of red wine,thus making it air tight. Then simply pumped a dozen times to draw all the air out & create a vacuum and bingo it works brilliantly. It is pulling the gas out of the wine fantasticly . The bungs that come with the vacuum pump have a none return valved fitted that stops the air completely until button is pressed to release it . Please See picture attached. I found it to be really good , and hope it's a usefull contribution and a help to someone.. Item no eBay 301948250599

Attachments

• IMG_20190529_115223.jpg
    IMG_20190529_115223.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hello,
Can anyone help me with my first degassing adventure.
Recently I bought some lightly used wine making gear, one item being a vacuum pump with the orange 2 connection tubing connection points.
Although I have been winemaking for many years, I have never tried to vacuum degass.
I have 10 carboys filled with wine and have degassed with the drill driven agitator.
Now that I have a vacuum pump and the needed tubing it's time to try.
Can anyone help me with a basic set up explanation.?
Any help is welcome.
Bill.

Hello,
Can anyone help me with my first degassing adventure.
Recently I bought some lightly used wine making gear, one item being a vacuum pump with the orange 2 connection tubing connection points.
Although I have been winemaking for many years, I have never tried to vacuum degass.
I have 10 carboys filled with wine and have degassed with the drill driven agitator.
Now that I have a vacuum pump and the needed tubing it's time to try.
Can anyone help me with a basic set up explanation.?
Any help is welcome.
Bill.

You need an overflow jar/bottle just before the pump with two fittings. One fitting goes to the suction side of the pump and the other goes to your carboy. Make sure the fitting in the carboy does not extend into the wine. Do not let the overflow container get too full. Cycle the pump long enough to get the froth started. Use clear tubing rated for vacuum (it's a bit thicker in the wall).

Most of us using the All-in-One system "splash rack" from one carboy to another a few times, which gets rid of the gas as part of the process. You can do that too, if you rig up the proper fittings.

Are there any other hand pumps that anyone uses? I mostly stir but I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Are there any other hand pumps that anyone uses? I mostly stir but I'm getting pretty tired of it.

I've used a Vac-U-Vin before. It takes a really long time to de-gas a carboy with that.
You could use an automotive hand operated vacuum pump. There are very cheap ones out there, but a decent one will be pricey. It's probably half the cost of an All-In-One system, so you might consider saving up for the better pump.

It's not necessarily saving up for the All-in-one. It's that, out of principle, I've told my wife that I'll have no more big wine purchases until my birthday.... Which is in November. What a terrible decision. Haha

I use this pump and power supply to rack with and after 2 or 3 rackings the gas is gone.
about $30 bucks for both pieces on ebay.

p.jpg
p.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/bayite-12V...990317?hash=item4b6250812d:g:jpkAAOSwbg5crH09

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Strip-...ower-Supply-Adapter-Transformer-/222272466744

I was interested in getting one of these, but after doing some online research, I learned it's not food grade. I wouldn't want to use it to transfer wine!
Well, it's for transferring potable water in RVs. I flush mine out with a potassium metabisulfite solution before and after each use and haven't had a problem.

I have a degassing whip that doesn't appear to be food grade.

Well, it's for transferring potable water in RVs. I flush mine out with a potassium metabisulfite solution before and after each use and haven't had a problem.

I have a degassing whip that doesn't appear to be food grade.

Just be wary even though your wine doesn’t touch it for long. It’s made for water, so it’ll operate great for you at pH 7.0 +/-. Might not be the same case at pH 3 - 3.7.

Just be wary even though your wine doesn’t touch it for long. It’s made for water, so it’ll operate great for you at pH 7.0 +/-. Might not be the same case at pH 3 - 3.7.
That's an interesting thought.
So far I've used it on 2 cab kits, 2 batches of cherry, some DB, & blueberry.
How ever it's been a short time frame, maybe 3 months. No telling how long it will last at the higher acid levels if that's what your driving at.
Thanks.

That's an interesting thought.
So far I've used it on 2 cab kits, 2 batches of cherry, some DB, & blueberry.
How ever it's been a short time frame, maybe 3 months. No telling how long it will last at the higher acid levels if that's what your driving at.
Thanks.

If it’s just a matter of how long it lasts, that’s an economic issue, and your decision. If the acid is breaking down the components and leaching chemicals into your wine, different concern for you.

If it’s just a matter of how long it lasts, that’s an economic issue, and your decision. If the acid is breaking down the components and leaching chemicals into your wine, different concern for you.

That makes a lot of sense.
Maybe I should look into a cheep vacuum pump.

That makes a lot of sense.
Maybe I should look into a cheep vacuum pump.

The diagram housing is only held together with 4 screws. Maybe I'll start doing inspections too see if I can detect any deterioration.

You can use the pump you have there as a vacuum pump. Diaphragm pumps will move air. That’s how they prime themselves.

It may not produce the same amount of vacuum as a stronger pump, but if it works while running the wine through it, it will create a vacuum strong enough to transfer the wine.

You can use the pump you have there as a vacuum pump. Diaphragm pumps will move air. That’s how they prime themselves.

It may not produce the same amount of vacuum as a stronger pump, but if it works while running the wine through it, it will create a vacuum strong enough to transfer the wine.
Thanks!
I hadn't thought of that. It's worth a try.

Latest posts

Back