WineXpert Degassing LE18 EM, very little foaming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_D

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

Racked and started degassing my LE18 Barbaresco kit today after an 8 week primary with EM, and I was surprised that there were basically no foam, and very little bubbles coming up on the side of the carboy.
Did a small taste before I started and I could feel a hint of fizz, but not much.

On the other hand, when I degassed my cheaper WE selection kit after just the 2 weeks of primary fermentation, it foamed like crazy, and lots of small bubbles rushing up the side of the carboy. Probably did a good 10 minutes with the drill before it subsided.

Is it normal that wine degases itself that much in just 8 weeks ? I´m gave it a decent whipping anyway just be on the safe side, and I will probably age and clear it in carboy for 6-9 months before bottling.

Last edited:
I had similar experiences with EM and without EM.
I would venture to say that having the skin/seeds/stems in also provide more nucleation sites facilitating the CO2 to fall out of suspension.
Time would obviously play a role as well.
Definitely less degassing required after an 8 week EM vs a 2 week primary.

Think of it this way...what happens to a can or bottle of soda pop that you leave on the counter or open in the fridge for a couple of days? Essentially, it's going to be flat as it de-gassed during those couple of days. 8 weeks in EM is probably 5-6 weeks of post fermentation time and allows for the CO2 to release over time. Perfectly natural and scientifically sound.

Latest posts

Back