Degassing during Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it should degas on its own. Just keep in mind that this may extend your clearing time. No big deal, but it will take longer than the kit instructions say.

Hey RB, welcome to the Forum.

Normally, I will bulk age my whites for 6 months as you are planning and they degas and clear without any intervention. I don't know what you plan for stabilization with k-meta, but about halfway through that period, i.e. at about 3 months, I would add a scant 1/4 t per 6 gallons of k-meta and another scant 1/4 t at the end of the 6 months just before bottling.

Thanks for the input and for the warm welcome to the Wine Making Talk forum.

What made me think about this subject is my experience with fermenting a 6 gallon pail of Sauvignon Blanc that I purchased last year from Pardo Wines in Tampa. Vince's instructions, he's the owner, didn't call for degassing but, on recent reflection, I realized that the wine seemed to degas on its own during the bulk aging process.

As I'm getting ready to order another juice pail from Pardo Wines and reflecting on the vinification process, I realized that I never degassed the Sauvignon Blanc. My reaching out to the forum was to make sure that I had not done something wrong thus ruining the Sauvignon Blanc for later consumption.

Thanks again to all for your guidance.

Latest posts

Back