degassing done poorly, should I rebottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
It is clear to me that I did a bad job degassing some wine kits. Can/should I empty the bottles, run them through the all-in-one Santa got me (early present, I've been good this year), and rebottle? If I go that route, do I need to resanitize the bottles or add more meta bisulfite?

It is clear to me that I did a bad job degassing some wine kits. Can/should I empty the bottles, run them through the all-in-one Santa got me (early present, I've been good this year), and rebottle? If I go that route, do I need to resanitize the bottles or add more meta bisulfite?

Hard to say...how much sulphite have you added? Yes you will likely have to add more depending on how much you added before. Although if the wine still has CO2 maybe not. Shouldn't have to sanitize again if you are dumping than rebottling. Did the wine clear properly? If it was my wine and it was clear I would just leave it and aerate or decant the wine when serving. I messed up my first kit by stirring up the sediment and bottling...it was a combination of not being gentle enough, using a 1/2" siphon rather than a 3/8" and a big part of being impatient. At any rate it mostly cleared in the bottle and I just decanted the bottles very catefully...they were fine and I finished the 30 bottles.

Last edited:
Once I realized the issue, I have been using the Vacu Vin on each bottle once I open it. I pour a glass, then pump up the bottle to pull out the CO2 multiple times after agitating the wine. Sometimes the foam is 3 or 4 inches high; I must have really done a poor job!

(The sulphite was added according to kit directions, but I'll take your advice and not redo them.)

Thanks!

Once I realized the issue, I have been using the Vacu Vin on each bottle once I open it. I pour a glass, then pump up the bottle to pull out the CO2 multiple times after agitating the wine. Sometimes the foam is 3 or 4 inches high; I must have really done a poor job!

(The sulphite was added according to kit directions, but I'll take your advice and not redo them.)

Thanks!
Those vacuvins don't really work for removing oxygen, I prefer to inert with C02...different issue anyways. You could add another 1/4tsp than if you didn't add anything additional since the kits say to add that if planning on aging longer than 6 months. I would just leave it if I were you in the bottles.

Thanks!

I had this very problem with one of my first kits. I dumped and pumped with no hesitation. I couldn't see bringing out my wine to share with family and friends, and have to explain that I screwed up and it will be ready to drink after I vacuum out the excess co2.

If you have good hygiene and it hasn't been long since you initially bottled, you're fine. That wine isn't going to last long enough for it to matter. If it's been a while, dump, pump and dose with 1/4 tsp of Kmeta before putting it back in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back