Degassing after the Bentogram?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterax

Reaction score
I degassed my carboy this weekend using a pump to create a vacuum. That worked well and eventually, all bubbles stopped. I tasted the wine and sure enough, no carbonation.

So today, I added Bentogram to help clear up the wine. And as soon as I did... bubbles! But this time, they're much smaller than what I degassed on the weekend.

Should I be degassing again or is this an effect of the bentogram?

I presume you mean bentonite.

Bentonite is a clay and will start no chemical or biological reaction in the wine. It will just attach to larger parts floating in the wine and by this it will clear the wine.

The bubbles you see now are in my opinion the result
of not degassing enough.

Patience is the key at this moment.

Wait till the bentonite settles. Then rack again and then
just wait a few weeks more.

Luc

The package says Bentogram. Just did a google and it's bentonite that comes in larger granular form.

I'm surprised to find out it's not degassed enough. I had the carboy under vacuum for 2 days and nothing more was coming out. Now, it's full of bubbles as soon as I introduced the bentogram. Weird...

I guess the vacuum wasn't strong enough or lost some of its strenght. I re-applied it and now CO2 is slowly, but steadily coming out. I'll make sure to keep it up every hours or so.

If you are using the Vacuvin wine bottle wine saver then they are not strong enough to degass a carboy full of wine. You will still need to use the drill mounted strirrer then finish off with the vacuum device.

Latest posts

Back