Degass or no degass?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TikiWine

Reaction score
I am interested in letting my kit degass naturally. Has anyone tried this? How long does it take?

I am interested in letting my kit degass naturally. Has anyone tried this? How long does it take?
It's a wonderful thing to do, but takes a good long while, six months to a year. If you can measure your free SO2 levels, you will want to keep an eye on those. If not, 1/4 tsp for a 5 or 6 gallon carboy every three months is the rule of thumb.

There’s a few different ways to test it. Most require expensive equipment/chemicals. But there’s also so2 test kits that are less expensive— just not as accurate. AccuVin sells one I believe. The other is available on many winemaking sites. So2 titrets.
About $20 for a pack of 10 tests. IMO they are great less expensive option.

Here’s a thread explaining them.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/index.php?threads/Cheaply-testing-so2.66043/

Using the rule of thumb described by @cmason1957 will suit your purposes until you decide to delve into SO2 testing, it’s what most home winemakers do. I have the ability to test, but use the rule of thumb and only test just prior to bottling to get it just right.

Latest posts

Back