Degasing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucci922

Junior
Reaction score
I would like to degas my wine using a vacuum pump. Can anyone recommend a pump to purchase? Name? Model? I don't know much about them.

It has become so time consuming using a "whip" to degas the amount of wine I make.

Thank you.

You can use a Medical Aspirator - i use a Robinair 2 stage vacuum pump - these are pretty pricey.

You can get a medical aspirator on ebay for about $150.

Search the forums - Wade has posted some information about the one he uses.

I recently picked up a vacuum pump at Harbor Freight for about 70.00

It works fine as far as pulling, but whenever I have used it, it puts off an oil mist or smoke that is supposedly normal. I don't like it though. It smells up the basement, and I don't know if any of it would permeate any open wine.
I'm hoping it gets better as I use it more.

If you are new to vacuum pumping, make sure to read up on the forum about how much vaccuum to use. Too much pressure can be a real bad thing for carboys.

Yeah that is true - i usually pull about 18" of mercury.

Do you have too much oil in the pump? If there is too much oil it will smoke.

I made that mistake - when the pump is good and warm - run for about 15-20 min - see what the oil level is.

It should be right at or just below the full line.

Thank you all for your help. I will let you know how I make out. Might need help with set up once i get the pump.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back