degasing before adding clearing agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzmeister

Reaction score
I am making a wine expert kit vintners reserve, I am at day 17, SG is .990 added sulphate, and sorbate, did not rack stirred vigourously for 2 minutes my question is should I wait for 2 or 3 days stirring ocassionaly or should I add the finning agent right away like the instructions indicate and stirr for another 2 minutes, instructions are not all that clear, does it matter when I add the finning agent?

Generally, you want to get all the co2 out of suspension before the finings will work. If there's no bubbling or foaming when you stir, then you should be good to go. If in doubt, wait a few days.

Do as good of a job now even i it takes a few days especially if by hand with spon as its very hard to get C02 out that way. Youll be sorry later if you dont caus 1, it wont clear very well, and 2, you will have a fizzt wine.

Fuzz:

I find that going back and forth with the paddle end of the spoon works better than going round and round. Plus the wine will foam forever. That's not always CO2.

Steve

cpfan nice to have a reply from you again, you are saying that it will foam forever, how do you know when the co2 is all gone I have done exactly what you said with the paddle, going back and forth but it keeps on foaming, and in the instructions they tell you to stirr till it quits foaming, the way I understand they want you to stirr for 2 min, when adding the sulfite, and sorbate, than add the finning agent, and stirr for another 2 mins and wait for it to clear.

cpfan nice to have a reply from you again, you are saying that it will foam forever, how do you know when the co2 is all gone I have done exactly what you said with the paddle, going back and forth but it keeps on foaming, and in the instructions they tell you to stirr till it quits foaming, the way I understand they want you to stirr for 2 min, when adding the sulfite, and sorbate, than add the finning agent, and stirr for another 2 mins and wait for it to clear.
Four minutes isn't enough. Four hours is too much. Sorry, I don't have a great answer for how long it takes. If your arm doesn't hurt you haven't done enough.

Temperature is also important. For degassing the temp should be 22-25C or 72-76F. Cold liquids do not release as much CO2.

Also, somebody watching me degas with a paddle said I was more violent. I prefer the word vigourous. So that will make a difference too.

Steve

Back