Definition of "Age"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjzalew

Reaction score
When we say let the wine "age" for 6 months-1 yr-2yrs...Is it's "Birth" when we bottle the wine or when we add the yeast? I know it seem like a simple question, but I can not find the answer..
Steve

It depends on who you talk to but I kinda consider the aging process to begin from the time you take it out of primary and into secondary. Once you do that it's pretty much just WINE.

It can be aged in glass carboys, plastic carboys, oak barrels or thrust into bottles way too early, but it's still aging.

Hope this helps.

PHEW! I was hoping this wasn't another thread where we all start picking on TOM!
:hug

I have done nothing but kits, so that may skew things, but I start the aging clock at the point where I could have bottled it according to the directions. If I chose to bulk age rather than bottle, it's still time counted as aging.

Example: I start a 6-week kit on June 1, rack to secondary on June 9, stabilize on June 25, could have bottled on July 15. Forever, that kit has a born-on date of July 15, even if I bottled it on Oct. 17 or whatever

Jim

Latest posts

Back