Defects in Carboy??

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

AbruzziRed

Junior
Reaction score
I picked up this carboy today and noticed some bubbles in the glass. Also what appears to be a small crack in one bubble. I didn’t see it until I got into better light. Anyone have similar bubbles in your carboys

I have it filled with water right now to see if it holds.

Attachments

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
The water test is a good idea. I have bubbles in a few of my carboys and don't give it much mind. I also have what appears to be cracks but I think they are just flaws in the glass. What appears to be a crack in the bubble in the first pic is a little alarming but it's so hard to tell from the pic what the actual condition is.

AbruzziRed

Junior
Reaction score
The water test is a good idea. I have bubbles in a few of my carboys and don't give it much mind. I also have what appears to be cracks but I think they are just flaws in the glass. What appears to be a crack in the bubble in the first pic is a little alarming but it's so hard to tell from the pic what the actual condition is.
Yeah it’s hard to take pics of clear glass the crack appears on the inside of the carboy. It’s not all the way through and maybe length up and down versus the thickness. I will keep water in it for a few months and see what happens.

KCCam

Always Thirsty
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this carboy today and noticed some bubbles in the glass. Also what appears to be a small crack in one bubble. I didn’t see it until I got into better light. Anyone have similar bubbles in your carboys

I have it filled with water right now to see if it holds.
Do you ever use vacuum? I agree it's hard to tell from pics, but that flaw in the first pic to the right of the tiny bubble looks serious to me. Glass will fail at a stress concentration, like a crack or notch. If it was mine, I would return it immediately for a replacement. I'm sure you could do that easily now, but if it fails a year from now, not only will you have a mess, but you won't be able to get a free replacement.

AbruzziRed

Junior
Reaction score
Do you ever use vacuum? I agree it's hard to tell from pics, but that flaw in the first pic to the right of the tiny bubble looks serious to me. Glass will fail at a stress concentration, like a crack or notch. If it was mine, I would return it immediately for a replacement. I'm sure you could do that easily now, but if it fails a year from now, not only will you have a mess, but you won't be able to get a free replacement.
It’s an older carboy I bought off market place for $20. May just turn into a decoration piece.thanks for feedback!

Old Corker

Phil
Reaction score
I had what I thought was a crack in a secondhand carboy. I marked both end with a sharply, filled it half way with water and pulled a vacuum on it for several minutes. It didn’t get any bigger. Ive been using for months now with no issues. I do agree with the don’t turn an annoyance into a bigger problem thinking though. If in doubt don’t use it.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
If it were mine, I would wrap it with several rings of duct tape (Yes, I am a fan of "Home Improvement"), maybe four or so. If it starts to fracture, you would likely get a few drips rather than a pond. Just a thought since you said you can't return it.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
The little bubbles are nothing to worry about. Some of my carboys are 30 years old and I've never had a problem with tiny bubbles.

The one what what appears to be a crack? That is also probably nothing, however, you can purchase food grade glass sealant for $5-$8 USD that will reinforce it, and this is much cheaper than a new carboy.

I would NOT put that carboy under vacuum. If it is a weak spot, it may hold fine for a number of instances, then give way. If you don't use a vacuum pump, it's a non-issue.

As a general warning, it's a good idea to put exercise mats on the floor, especially if the floor is concrete. I read that repeated jarring on hard surfaces, like concrete, stresses glass.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
The little bubbles are nothing to worry about. Some of my carboys are 30 years old and I've never had a problem with tiny bubbles.

The one what what appears to be a crack? That is also probably nothing, however, you can purchase food grade glass sealant for $5-$8 USD that will reinforce it, and this is much cheaper than a new carboy.

I would NOT put that carboy under vacuum. If it is a weak spot, it may hold fine for a number of instances, then give way. If you don't use a vacuum pump, it's a non-issue.

As a general warning, it's a good idea to put exercise mats on the floor, especially if the floor is concrete. I read that repeated jarring on hard surfaces, like concrete, stresses glass.
So true. I now lay down a rug so if I bump the carboy on the floor it will be somewhat protected. I bumped one once, there was no sign of damage, but once the cold carboy was filled with the warm-ish liquid it started to crack and leak. Lesson learned!

Latest posts