Defeated by apples

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I picked the remaining apples and pears from our back yard today. Got 75Lbs of apples and 5 lbs of pears.
I wanted to make cider from them. I had done a trial before to see how my grape crusher with not very good results. So I figured I'd just cut them into 1/8ths and try to press them in my grape basket press.

So I'm here to tell you this is a bad idea. I have a ratchet press but eventually I got to the point I could barely crank it anymore. For all that effort, I got like 2L of juice.

So Plan B, tossed them in the crusher, and had just as bad results. The grape crank crusher just cuts some grooves into the apples, but they don't get pulled through.

So I admitted defeat for the night, but hopefully haven't lost the war.

I stuck everything in the freezer, and I'll leave it there for a few days. Then into a brute with some pectic enzyme. I've read this can work well, so hopefully it does for me.

20191103_173915.jpg

I want to hit "like" just to provide some encouragement for the effort, but fear sending the wrong message. I hope you and the darling little ones succeed after the freeze/thaw cycle!

I had some pears for a while and used the Jack Keller recipe which didn’t involve a press.

You will find the juice weeps out of the apple with only the weight of the apple.
I picked the remaining apples and pears . . .stuck everything in the freezer, and I'll leave it there for a few days. Then into a brute with some pectic enzyme.
pressing after freezing is the lazy way to make a clean apple juice.

I've used a garbage disposal to make quick work of apples and pears for pressing. About $50 bucks brand new, plug it in ant go to town.

Took out of the freezer today, dumped a 20g packet of pectic enzyme in, and some bought cider to help distribute it. will see tomorrow if it helped soften everything up.

Latest posts

Back