Deep Deep Deep question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Retter

Junior
Reaction score
Watching Somm into the bottle, as I drink some vino. Wondering, All these incredibly old wines they try that are amazing, did they sulfite them? or how do they stand the test of time and how to we make sure ours are drinkable that old?
30-40-50 years down the road?

I will be dead so really never gave any thought... Lol. But it would probably take spending extra money on the type of closure you use and environment it is kept in.

Not every wine is capable of improving and / or staying good for that time, regardless of how good your storage situation is. Tannin is one of the components that play a large role in aging, along with pH. Lots of wines produced to be “early drinkers” don’t focus on tannin extraction, or even avoid it, typically aren’t going to age well.

Young wines with lots of tannins that aren’t tasting very good early on, if you’ve made one of those, you may have a candidate. As mentioned above, the storage of the wine is also a part of the puzzle, a properly sulfited wine, bottled and corked to last, in a vibration free environment around 55 F, 65% - 75% RH, will do nicely for many, many years. Will it be awesome in 30 years? I cannot say, but I’ll let you know in 25 years.

Cleanliness when bottled, tannin, alcohol, acidity, SO2, enclosure and storage environment are the elements I can think of that would go into long storage times.

Latest posts

Back