Decanting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masic2000

Reaction score
Does decanting make sense ? Has anyone tried it and noticed a difference?

Andrea McBride states the following,

"Do you notice when you open a bottle of red wine and pour a glass, the wine gets better over time, especially the second glass (not a trick question!)? You start to notice the wine smells better, the fruit flavors become pronounced and the tannins are softer? That’s because the wine has “opened up” due to the increased contact with the air. Decanting introduces oxygen, which releases aromas and flavors in all red wine."

I try to do on young wines, that I think will be tannic; Cabs, Petite Sirahs. Decanting tends to smooth the wine out. When I have the rare opportunity to enjoy an older 10+ years, I may hold off decanting.

there are aerators out there that you can purchase that does the same thing but by the glass.We found that it made enough difference in judging wines that we use aerators for pouring red wines for judging.

IMO, it can make huge difference. I have an Eclipse Bravado...first glass is nice....30 minutes later it is just wonderful.

I don't notice the effect so much with white wines....but, I'm not a white wine guy. (but had 1/2 bottle each of a IM Kiwi Pear and Gewurztraminer...combined into one bottle to make room on the cabinet top. I'm not crazy about either one these wines. Tried a glass last night and it was freaky amazing good! Perhaps because they had been "decanted"? Maybe I was just thirsty!)

I generally decant young wines as per NorCal. Generally giving them half hour or so before serving. Older wines 10+ I decant just before serving to get rid of the sediment, rinse the bottle and pour back in. Myself and my father had a couple of disappointments a long while back when we over decanted some old bottles of expensive wines and the fruit faded away. Young powerful wines are forgiving though but I still try to stick to 30 minutes before serving.

Back