Decanting...what's up with that?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Stupid question #143....

This is not a joke. I'm really curious.
Let's say I have a 2 year old bottle of white wine that has cleared and settled nicely. Now it's time to open and serve it.
I have read all about storage, and decanting. I see hundreds of pictures on the 'net of "decanting cradles", some even with built in candle holders.
I even read the suggestion that, if you don't want to share your "sludge", you could decant your wine, clean the bottle, and re-fill it with the decanted portion before taking it to a party, or even a restaurant. Of course, we all know the bottle would no longer be full. Huh?
So here's my question, rhetorical or otherwise.
Why would someone 'decant' a bottle of wine with the sediment in the bottom, rather than siphon (rack) it off into another bottle?
Is it just that decanting adds to the mystique, and ceremony, or is there a sound reason for it?

W.a.g.

Phil,

Not sure I have the 'real' answer, but I believe that the decanting equipment was designed back in the day, for wine which wasn't nearly as refined and process-itized as it is today.

Of course some bottles do have sediment, others throw tartrate, but my guts say that hopefully both commercial wines and good home wines minimize those issues. So hopefully the need for decanting is lessened.

I would also theorize that most users of a decanting device probably don't have a way to rack a bottle with sediment into another bottle. The fancy decanters I've seen were made to pour to glasses, or so I believe.

Best, Fran

My opinion may not be a professional one by any means, but I have experienced a few batches that have been better by the simple act of decanting.

Let me clarify...

1) My first few batches, I didn't have the wonderful setup with filter and AIO pump, or even the most basic of tools (yes, I'll admit, I have some year old welch's made in a plastic bottle with a balloon on top, and I had no hydrometer) and all that. As they have sat dormant since their bottling, more sediment has appeared... hence for these bottles, decanting = necessary.

2) There have been a few batches that the simple act of decanting and allowing oxygen to hit the wine prior to serving hlped to open up the flavor and bouquet.

So as decanting primarily may only apply to a former time when filters and pumps may not have existed, there are exceptions where decanting may help in the serving of a particular wine.

Just my two cents... and I'm no professional, so take it only as two cents.

Many reds and some whites benefit from getting to breathe a bit before they are served. So, decanters are great for getting that oxygen to the wine prior to drinking.

Decanting is more for high end reds (with lots of tannins) than anything else. Sure an older bottle will also benefit by trapping wine diamonds but the real benefit is to let a wine breath so the tannins soften and the wine opens up and is approachable.

Glowin,

I agree with you, but would also say that decanting a wine both removes sediment and provides aeration. I have found that just about all wines (not just high end ones) benefit from this just prior to drinking.

I guess my point was lost somewhere....

Yes, wine needs to be separated from the sediment that has accumulated in the bottle, for whatever reason. Also, aerating is a good thing, mostly.

But why "decant" rather than "rack" the clean wine? It has always seemed to me that a lot of wine was wasted during decanting. Unless you want to wait another few weeks for the stirred up sediment to settle again.
Wine can be aerated in a number of ways once the sludge is gone.
:?

I think the deal is why it is not really considered is because most bottles have sediment that ranges from non existent or to incredibly thin that racking it would be impractical for the amount of wine in the bottle.

As was mentioned earlier, most people don't have racking equipment unless they make beer/wine/mead. Many people that do decant their wines will pour them through a screen filter to catch the sediment, thereby eliminating the need to rack. Decanting is really more about getting some air into the wine than separating it from sediment, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back