Decanting BEFORE bottling ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Obelix

Reaction score
Hi guys,

the other day I watched this French movie, and they discussed how they need to "decant wine before bottling it", and this confused me no end.

Been doing this for 4 years now, and this is new to me .

I need to bottle two kegs (100L) soon, so maybe this is a step I was missing?

Anyone can shed some light on this?

thanks

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I typically rack a wine before bottling, in case there is a bit of dust in the bottom of the carboy. I hold the racking cane off the bottom and rack down to leave maybe a bottle's worth, then bottle the racked wine. The remainder, muddy or not, gets bottled as well. If I've done a good job of clearing the wine I have 25 clear bottles. If not, I have 24 clear bottles and 1 that's not for sharing.

Obelix

Reaction score
Thanks Winemaker 81,
This wine has been in the kegs for 18 months now, after settling for 6 months in a big container. So it has been raked after 3 days (grosse lees,) then after 6 months again.
Any sediment is well settled at the bottom, and hard by now.
If "decanting" in this case means a separation from sediments I will be OK. Can't imagine it would need any aeration before the bottling.

Last edited:

Cynewulf

Reaction score
Hi guys,

the other day I watched this French movie, and they discussed how they need to "decant wine before bottling it", and this confused me no end.
It might be a translation issue. What was the film and do you know what the original line was in French?

Obelix

Reaction score
Yes "Back to Burgundy".
The usual dramas around personal life, interwoven with a survival of a family winery.
The writer tried to impress the audience with his knowledge of the process , but only managed to confuse me

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
The writer tried to impress the audience with his knowledge of the process , but only managed to confuse me
Best to ignore it; movies are notoriously bad at explaining technique!

And no, I cannot think of ANY reason to aerate the wine before bottling. Not unless you're interested in oxidation in the bottle ... 😉

Cynewulf

Reaction score
Yes "Back to Burgundy".
The usual dramas around personal life, interwoven with a survival of a family winery.
That’s on my list to see but I haven’t yet. If I ever get around to it I’ll try to verify the translation as I suspect they may have been talking about a final racking before bottling. But as @winemaker81 said, I wouldn’t base my process on a dramatic film.

Obelix

Reaction score
I guess raking in this context makes sense. Thanks guys.