Decanter & Bottle collectors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
Howdy all. I was wondering if anyone here collects/buys/trades fine old wine bottles and decanters? My wife has been selling estates on Ebay. We often run on to great old bottles and decanters. Some of the name brand whiskey/burbon items sell now and then but often the truly great wine items don't sell. I was helping her the other day and I ran on to two Italian china Chianti bottles. they are still full and under seal. Although we have sold full bottles of whiskey there, Ebay has a whole different view on Wine because wine is not normally sold in collectable bottles. Little do they no. We will probably just keep these and put them on a shelf. I have also kept some other Wine related items that We found interesting. I was just wondering if any of the rest of you do likewise?
Brad

My wife and i bought quite a few crysatl decanters a few years back as we love them.

Warning... Incoming stupid question...

What does a decanter do? I've seen them sold an at impressive price range from $50 to $600, but I'm unclear as to what they're for exactly. Is this to oxygenate the wine before pouring in a glass? Does that amplify the taste? And does price really makes a difference?

Price raely doesnt make a difference unless it is the quality of the object you are looking for. What decanting a wine does is to let it breathe and open up, some wines, usually reds really need this to give you its true profile whether floral ot vegetal or fruity.

I think I paid $14.00 for my decanter. It seems like a very nice one to me.

Decanting also allows one to fully appreciate the true beauty (color) of the wine presented before you on the table as most wine bottles are colored and don't allow for this.

Back